Thread: Starting solids - how many times a day?

Question Starting solids - how many times a day?

Ok, DS is 5months 1 wk old, and we are just starting solids - why, because he has stopped sleeping thru the night and is now waking for at least one, if not two feeds, and he has become very interested in what DH and I eat/drink.

So, over the weekend I tried him with rice cereal - which was all spat out although he by the second 'try' he was grabbing my hand and bringing it with the spoon up to his mouth which was open...but the winces each time he tasted it was a classic. Anyway, this morning I tried him on a commercial fruit mix, no luck in the morning, but at lunch he was getting into it, but again spat most out, but no wincing! Tonight at dinner I mixed the fruit stuff in with the cereal and a bit of cooled boiled water, and he was so so about it.

So, my question, how often a day do I try and give him solids? For the 3 days it was only at his 5pm feed, but today I tried about 2 teaspoons at his 8am, noon and 5pm feed. Is that too much? I dont want to upset his little tummy (although most was spat out), and after reading what info I could find I think I've done the wrong thing as the mix I have is apple, blueberry and banana, when apple and pear are meant to be the first fruits tried (but the packet is marked for 4+ months - but he could be allergy prone and it is those guidelines I have looked at). Totally confused??? I know I am!

Any advice appreciated.
    FG

id just try once a day for a while!
    maybe try baby led solids as well (finger food) soft boiled vegies

My rule of thumb goes like this:

First week offer once per day at bubs happiest time
    If they are handling that ok then offer twice per day (after around 1 week)
    Then by 3 to 5 weeks 3 meals per day. I am more likely to make it 5 weeks

I also offer water in a sippy cup at each meal

Don't be in a rush to increase too quickly. If bub is having a few unsettled days then ease off on the solids.

Foods: I always try single foods for around 3 days in a row. This way I can tell if that particular food is agreeing with bub. Then if I know bub can tolerate a certain food I mix it up. To make rice cereal more palatable try mixing it with apple or pear.

Foods that I avoid initally: Berries, citrus and the main allergy foods

Currently I am investigating BLS and I will be doing a mix of the old puree method and BLS.

I hope that helped.

Hello,
    Thanks for the advice.

So far I think I have broken most of the rules due to ignorance!!!

So, now I'm just trying to give him the teaspoon of a commercial(!) blend with the good intentions to do up some single vegies tomorrow and freeze some in ice cube trays. But he is loving it, so might try some finger food bits as well at lunch time. I think that is already hanging out for his solids (do them at about 5pmish) as he is refusing bottle beforehand and trying to eat me - plus in the last day he has been trying to get his hands on everything that I try and put near my mouth! Clearly he thinks he is ready for more LOL.

Hope it keeps going like this and thanks for the advice.
    FG

:yeahthat:

I love the faces when they try things for the first time!!

I can highly recommend BLS too, it has really worked for us. DD (9.5months) is on family foods and eats anything & everything.

In truth what we did was probably a mix of BLS & mushy stuff to begin with and that worked for us. Just take what works for you & your bub.

And MantaRay might drop in & update you on the allergy recommendations nowadays. As long as there is no history of allergy to a food in the family, then all food is ok to give your baby except for honey (risk of botulism bacteria in honey) & whole nuts (choking hazard).

Good luck & have fun! Take lots of photos of the food all over his face too, classic!

We are also combining BLS & purees atm.
    She has been having dinner for about 2 weeks now & has had 'breakfast' twice. Only thing is with AR, she's not a huge bottle drinker & never has been, so I don't want her to take too many solids instead of milk IYKWIM?

Pumpkin has always been a great starter with my kids, & she has had some steamed broccoli & loved it too.

I think we might switch to just mornings for a while - she's been waking (3nights in a row now ) for a 1:30 - 2am poo & then play for 2 hours.... I suspect it might have a bit to do with solids so we will switch times & see...

I would go with whatever time seems best for your guy, just start slowly & gradually introduce a bit more. You'll know if he's ready for more or not