Thread: Are there any fruits she shouldn't be trying?

Default Are there any fruits she shouldn't be trying?

My mum freaked out the other day when I mentioned I had given DD half a strawberry to suck on (i did hold it for her so she didn't put the whole thing in her mouth and choke on it), she said she shouldn't be eating strawberries because they can cause allergies (or something like that...).

So are there any fruits that I shouldn't be letting her try or is my mum just misinformed? So far she has had the bit of strawberry, some nectarine, mango, banana and stewed apples/pears.

Default Ive heard strwberries arnt good

I have heard strawberries can cause allergic reactions in babies sometimes. I think there is something in them that makes them not really good, however I could also be misinformed. As for other fruits I dont know. The strawberry saga is also to do with bubs age if she is like 1 yr I think you can try them on the berries but once again please dont quote me to that. I hope others can answer this better, sorry darl.

I think introducing new foods is trial and error no days. I personally would avoid strawberries because both my older girls reacted to them, but if you've already introduced them and bub is ok then I can't see why you can't continue to give them.

If you don't have a family history of allergies then I would just introduce new foods and see how she goes.

The information and advice WRT allergies has recently changed. There are now no specific recommendations on when (or when not to) introduce particular foods (after 6 months).

Specifically:

More research is needed to determine the optimal time to start complementary solid foods. Based on the currently available evidence, many experts across Europe, Australia and North America recommend introducing complementary solid foods from around 4-6 months. Solid foods should not be introduced before 4 months.

There is little evidence that delaying the introduction of complementary solid foods beyond 6 months reduces the risk of allergy.

There have been some suggestions that delaying introduction of foods may actually increase (rather than decrease) allergy, however at this stage this is not proven.

There is insufficient evidence to support previous advice to specifically delay or avoid potentially allergenic foods (such as egg, peanuts, nuts, wheat, cow's milk and fish) for the prevention of food allergy or eczema. This also applies to infants with siblings who already have allergies to these foods.
    The whole article is here: The Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy - ASCIA Infant Feeding Advice

Quote Originally Posted by BekZ View Post
    If you don't have a family history of allergies then I would just introduce new foods and see how she goes.
    :yeahthat: Strawberries are great foods for babies, nice & soft & easy to eat. I'd keep giving them to her.

Your Mum is going off the old school rules for introducing foods to babies. Nowadays they recommend you only avoid honey (due to botulism bacteria in the honey which is harmful to babies) before 12 months & whole nuts (due to choking hazard). If your family has a history of allergies to any other foods, I would introduce slowly and carefully.

Another food that is unnecessarily avoided are eggs and these are fabulously convenient foods for mums to produce on demand and easy for the baby to eat.

Good luck, you'll work it out! Just get lots of photos of the classic faces your baby pulls as she'll be eating everything in sight in no time and you'll miss those quizzical faces!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Another food that is unnecessarily avoided are eggs and these are fabulously convenient foods for mums to produce on demand
    I know you didn't mean it the way it sounds, but thanks for giving me a giggle this afternoon

And to the OP FWIW my DS had a lot of foods earlier than "they" said. The only one we held off on was honey. Just watch for a reaction. Milk still gives us runny poos at 15 mos, so we just try again every few months

Tish
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Tish View Post
    I know you didn't mean it the way it sounds, but thanks for giving me a giggle this afternoon
    Oh yeah, that does sound funny!