Thread: totally confused about solids...

Default totally confused about solids...

okay so DD is 6.5 months and has been having 'solids' since about 4.5 months.
    she usually has about half a jar, an hour after her 5pm bottle.

quite a few times (well prob twice a week) she hasnt had an arvo nap and wants to go to bed straight after her 5pm bottle so she doesnt have any solids, and it doesnt seem to make any difference to how long she goes before needing a bottle, or how long she sleeps.
    not that i mind at all just seems wierd if she is eating something but it doesnt make any difference at all...

also for the last two weeks i have offered her solids at bfast (8am ish) and lunch (12 noon ish) and she just flat out refuses them....turns her head away or dribbles them out... its like she doesnt even care if she gets solids or not?

but the one meal she does eat, at 6pm, she loves it, takes it easily (e.g. it only takes me 5 mins to feed her and she doesnt try to turn away), but wont have more than half a jar.

for the record she is having 5 bottles in a 24 hr period, each about 150ml but she usually leaves 20-40ml in the bottom of each so shes having a fair bit less than whats recommended for her weight but she never seems to be hungry...

should i just keep going with the one meal? or try offer 2 a day? im really confused!!!

if she doesnt want them at all, then stop for a week and try again.
    DS1 was funny with solids til about 7 and a half months.
    If she is happy and healthy it should be OK, what does your CHN say (have you got a good one)

My DD went through a phase where she didnt want solids as well. We started at about 5.5months then it was about 6 to 6.5 months she wasnt interested so we just stopped and kept going with the milk. Thats all they really need anyway.

Re-started later with the solids and was as good as gold!

Yep I second that. My MCHN told me as long as DD's putting on weight, sleeping and happy and healthy then you're doing everything right. My DD also leaves a little of her bottle every feed but she's definitely not hungry. Actually she's taller and heavier than the average so I would just follow your DD's lead and she'll let you know when she has had enough or when she wants more.

should i drop her 6pm solids then, seeing as it doesnt make any difference? (except stress me out that i have to try force food into her before bedtime lol)

yep I would drop it and try again in a few weeks time. Save you bothe the stress

Quote Originally Posted by AliBaby View Post
    yep I would drop it and try again in a few weeks time. Save you bothe the stress
    :yeahthat:

My DD2 did this too. Def drop some feeds until she wants it. Offer and if she refuses then don't force or stress. She will eat if she is hungry. Her main source of food atm is from the milk anyway. You are doing a good job. I found I stressed too much about what and when bub was eating. When I relaxed and just fed her when she wanted, we were both so much happier.

she used to be on quite a strict feeding schedule but shes growing and changing so quick now so its a bit more relaxed, i give her 4 bottles during the day and 1 overnite... plus im getting really sick of throwing out half or quarter eaten jars of baby food!!!

Yeah, I've wasted heaps of jars of food. I try to offer her the same thing two days in a row and split the jars in two. I think maybe it would be easier making my own baby food and freezing it. It gets better, they get older and before we know it this will all be over!

^ And the solution to that is to buy stuff that *you* like, so when she's chowed down and done with her meal you can polish it off I looooove vanilla custard!!
    Don't stress, hun I'm being sooo slack with Hayley's introduction to solids it's not funny - not really helpful when DH turns her onto Scallywags and Scotch Fingers instead of, you know, pureed vegies like she's MEANT to be trying lol... now she doesn't even want her apples, just mungs down biscuits when I need her to shush for a minute so I can make a phone call or something hahaha :/

Just try to remember that 'food is for fun until they're one'. She's just experimenting and giving it a go, no need to have strict solid routines for a while yet As long as she's happy, sleeping well (LOL do they ever?!), and her weight is normal, then you're doing everything right!

lol Donna, yeah ive recently changed her sleeping schedule around much to XPs confusion, and its like i just got a handle on bottles then now i have to work out food too? geeeeez

before it was :
    bottle 5pm, bed 630-7pm, dreamfeed 9pm, sleep til 5am (cries out for bottle), then *sometimes* back to sleep for an hour...

but recently she had been fully waking up at the 9pm dreamfeed and wanting to play, so now its

bottle 5pm, bed 630-7pm, sleeps til 3am (cries out for bottle), back to sleep til 7am....much better