Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegemite, what age?

Default Vegemite, what age?

DS is 8 months old, I have made some cheesymite scrolls for DD and not sure if I should let DS have some. I'm happy with all the other ingredients I have used, there is no salt or sugar in them, I'm just not sure about the vegemite. What do you reckon??
    Thanks

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Both boys have had vegemite on toast from 6 months. As long as its not thick spread on, a thin spread they don't really get much at the vit B is good for them!

Personally I hate the stuff but both kids love it!

Oh I hate it too!! It grossed me out even buying the stuff lol! It was a pretty thin layer I spread over the dough, so think I'll let him have a try. Thanks hun

Yeah, he can have it. Vegemite on toast was one of the first foods I gave my kids.

I gave vegemite toast to DS when he was around 7 months.. He also had it in his mashed veges to add a bit of flavour

I would be more inclined to go for Promite as it has less salt and yeast in it than vegemite.
    It tastes a little different, but enough to notice.

Yes I to would go for promite or marmite, DS got a bit hivey initially from do much yeast but grew out of it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I will check out the labels and compare the different brands next time I'm shopping. I already have the vegemite this time around though.

Same as the PPs mine had it from around 6 mths really thinly spread on toast!!

All of mine have had it from 6-7 months and loved it.
    We go through a huge jar in 1-2 weeks

kraft have a "my first vegemite" just been released...it is much lower in salt than the normal one....has an orange lid instead of yellow.

My DS had it quite early, about 8 months I think, loves the stuff (so do I)

There is a kids vegemite which I think has less salt - however we use the full strength stuff here

It's like everything, all in moderation I would think a cheesymite scroll would be perfectly fine

Same as pp's was if the first foods my kids had. I personally be more worried about the cheese, used to back my kids up something shocking

After JLeigh told me there was a kids one a couple of weeks ago I went and bought it. So ds has a little bit on about a qtr a piece of bread probably every day and he's 13 months. Prior to that his diet didn't have any salt in it.

There have been several articles warning about the sodium content in Vegemite and that it's not suitable for children. Even the "My First Vegemite" still has a lot of salt. Just be aware. Personally, I feel that 6 -12 months is way too early for Vegemite.

My kids all had it from about 6 months.

There's no way I'd give it to my baby. Their kidneys are very vulnerable to damage from too much salt. Doesn't it even say on the baby vegemite that they shouldn't have it before age 1

Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    Doesn't it even say on the baby vegemite that they shouldn't have it before age 1
    I just looked this up and yep.. 1yr+ for my first Vegemite.

I can't remember when my first two had Vegemite? They were probably babies :/ but it wasn't a regular thing.. I hate the stuff lol.

DD2 probably won't ever have it cos we just don't buy it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast