Thread: waiting til 4 months to introduce solids..

Question waiting til 4 months to introduce solids..

well if you call farex solids lol..
    but anyway, DD isnt even 4 months old yet, but i rekon she's getting all the signs of wanting to start experiencing foods..
    should i just wait a little longer since she isnt 4 months yet? i guess it wont hurt to wait..
    im also a little excited about it coz im up for a bit of a challenge.. i cant wait to introduce her to new foods and see how she goes lol.
    im weird i know.

they do say to wait till 6 months from about 5 months DS was sorta ready to have solids but he still hadn't lost his tongue thrust reflex yet

yeh some say from 4-6 months, thats why i asked.
    i mean i probably should just wait, and i think i iwll.
    like i said im just so excited to be doing something new with her i just cant wait.

I'd wait a little longer. They can show signs very early but they don't really need it until a little later. And I don't mean to be all doom and gloom but solids are a bit of a PITA. I was so excited to start with dd1 but after I did I kinda wished I hadn't. We started at five months. It's so messy and frustrating if they don't eat much. And it's extremely time consuming. They are feeding sonften at 3 months too that I don't know when you'd fit the solids in! Is she putting on plenty of weight? I'd have a chat to a professional too because sometimes introducing solids too young can upset their tummies and cause other probs....both my bubs got really chucky on farex rice cereal.... Sorry to be a downer then again you are her mumma and if you think she's ready do some reading etc and give it a go

ive also heard that (about solids being a PITA lol) and i know your right, im gonna put it off for as long as i can, but i am super excited about doing something new for her.
    yeah, she's putting on weight and everything.
    i guess her main sign is that when ever we eat she gets really stroppy, and she watches.. really stares at us while we eat.

yep that happens lol we tried it with DS but he just wasnt ready lol

Stevie, you'd probably find she stares intently if she saw you going to the toilet - doesn't mean she's ready to toilet train.

There's a lot more to being ready to start solids than "looking interested". And then there's the other side of things... their systems just can't handle it.

I know of two babies that started solids early. It was medically necessary for one (cystic fibrosis, they need acidic foods to take their medications) while the other just thought it would be cool and fun... Both babies have problems with allergies now. It's impossible to prove that there's a link - but I just don't think it's worth taking the risk.

Please wait - and not just until you hit 4 months!

BW

It is recommended to wait until 6 months, at 3 months her digestive system wouldn't be ready for such a huge change in her diet. It can be exciting, but like the others have said it can be a pain and really mucks up your routine! Farex is quite high in iron too, at her age she doesn't need the extra iron and it may only cause her to become constipated, which is not nice for bub or mum.

As exciting as it is I would be holding off for at least another 2-3 months. We started DD at about 5 1/2 months. They also need to be able to sit up, so just the visual 'cues' which most babies do anyway because they are naturally curious and looking at everything, aren't really that reliable.

Generally speaking 4 mths is the very earliest to start them, and it's best to hold off longer ... as some of the PPs have mentioned, their digestive systems don't always handle it earlier than 6 mths.
    We started at 5 mths , AR looked *kind of* interested at 4 mths but then again at that age they are interested in everything, and everything goes to the mouth. At 5 mths there were other cues (she was sitting unassisted, too) .
    FWIW I don't think you're weird at all I couldn't wait to start either! But really the couple of months between now & then will go very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jasp View Post
    But really the couple of months between now & then will go very quickly
    enjoy the time you have left when you only have to worry about milk

The novelty will wear off.... trust me!! LOL

youve made some great points ladies, i hadn really thought of her digestive system ( i mean, i had but didtn think it would be that much of a problem)
    I think i might try to wait til she's sitting up by herself, too. when do they start doing that? or is it dramatically different for all babies?

Sitting up varies greatly. My girls were sitting up by five mnths but my friend's dd didn't sit up until about 8 months but crawled early. Sitting up isn't vital for solids. It just makes it a little easier

DS1 didnt sit til 9 months, DS2 isnt sitting on his own yet at 8 monyhs - I wouldnt use that as a main guiding factor either.
    ITs tricky huh?

Some of the advice is that a baby's digestive system may not be ready for solid food until 6-9 mths. That means 6 mths is probably the very earliest time that most babies will tolerate digesting food other than milk.

It really isn't necessary to introduce anything else before this age and there are potential problems with early introduction. So it's more of a 'no harm in waiting' situation.

Why don't you check out our Baby-led solids area for some more info on this? You can even skip the messy rice cereal if you want to! Baby Led Solids - Pregnancy, Birth & Baby Forums ~ BellyBelly

This thread has some links to sites with great info on both introducing solids and baby-led solids. http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...uidelines.html