Thread: What type of yoghurt for baby

Question What type of yoghurt for baby

Hi!

I have started my little ones on yoghurt after much researching on types of yoghurt. It seems it has been in vain as they hate it! I understand that it can take many many exposures for a baby to accept a food, but the faces that are pulled are beyond priceless! I've tried mixing it with pur?e fruit as well as porridge.

I ended up buying just plain old full fat, nothing added Paul's tub yoghurt. I looked at the supermarket into the $$ yogurts marketed towards babies, but honestly, they had heaps more sugar and 99% had fruit and things added that babies of that age are recommended not to eat (choking hazard) and my boys had not yet tried on their own, let alone mixed with yoghurt ie. strawberries, blueberries.

I've looked at buying a yoghurt maker in the hope that I can make a yoghurt that's not so tart that they might actually enjoy!

Does anyone have any advice regarding what is a good first yoghurt for a baby, or am I over thinking things too much.

Thanks ladies!

Try Greek Yoghurt, it has more mild flavour than normal natural yoghurt.

Jalna vanilla - sweetened with fruit juice - 6mo DD loves it!

It's easy to make your own from scratch with an Easy Yo (not using their packets I mean). That way you can control the amount of sugar, etc and ensure it is made from full fat dairy.

We make our own with an easy yo, but use natural yogurt as a starter, not the packs. You can also make it with breastmilk instead of cows milk

The 'baby yoghurt' with fruit has it all pur?ed in there so you can't even see it, there's no colour or anything. So don't worry about that. However, I agree, it's $$$, waay too much in one tub for a little one to eat in one go and full of sugar. A good quality, full fat Greek yoghurt is what I'd recommend too.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinZulu View Post
    We make our own with an easy yo, but use natural yogurt as a starter, not the packs. You can also make it with breastmilk instead of cows milk
    We like easy yo too- full fat Greek. When I first started DD on yoghurt, I bought Greek yoghurt that's about 10% fat and really mild and creamy. DD occasionally gets vanilla yalna but I recon babies don't need foods sweetened to eat them.

My DD likes vanilla jalna too (but she's a little piglet who'll scoff most things).

Natural/plain/Greek is awesome. The others have a heap of sugar which little babies just don't need. You can also do plain yoghurt with lentils as a savoury thing.

Also, it doesn't matter if they don't eat yogurt.

Speaking of yoghurt (sorry in advance for the hijack) has anyone tried the kids on coyo??

B is allergic to dairy and its $15 a tub but I don't really want to buy a yoghurt Machine till I know he will eat it.

He's having too much fruit and we are all suffering for it I've made him some rice milk custard and mango rice pudding but would like to try some yoghurt (as a desert rather than fruit).

Coyo is delicious if you like coconut. Pretty addictive stuff.

Thanks everyone,

I think I might give the Greek yoghurt a go. I don't know why I didn't think of that!
    I might buy a yoghurt machine too, as it seems so easy to make.

Thanks for all your tips ladies!