Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to swap from full cream milk to low fat?

Default When to swap from full cream milk to low fat?

Ok, as the title suggests I'm trying to remember when it is that 'they' recommend you switch over from full cream milk to low/reduced fat? I had thought it was around 2 years old, but not 100% sure, so thought I better check with you wise women.

TIA

Yep, all dairy is supposed to be swapped to low fat after 2yrs.

i didn't know that you had to /could change to low/reduced fat -my DD1 is 2.3yrs old and is still on normal full cream milk

I remember hearing 2yrs for the switch, alho both girls here have always been on low fat because full cream made them constipated. So we switched them over from the beginning. I mean with their daily intake of dairy anyhow, its probably a good thing they are on low fat

tbh i dont see that the fat in cows milk such a bad thing, id cut other areas of fat out before milk

Quote Originally Posted by lilias View Post
    Yep, all dairy is supposed to be swapped to low fat after 2yrs.
    Thanks hun, that's what I thought.

Negrita, I don't think you have, or even need to for that matter. From what I read ages ago, up until 2 years (thanks lilas) they need lots of fat in their diets to assist with brain development. After that point, I guess their brains don't need it as much so it isn't necessary in their diets.

TBH I was asking cos for the life of me I couldn't remember for 100% if it was 2 or 4. DS is still a little bit off 2, but I'm not sure if I'll switch him over or leave it as is for a bit longer... I tend to think that as long as his weight is good, then there probably isn't the need to change... I think I drank full cream milk etc up until I was 10 or 11 and began to become conscious of my weight etc.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i was told by a paed dietician NOT to change to low fat milk (no matter what age).

The different in fat is so low, and they need the good parts of full cream milk for their bones/hair etc. This applies to the average child, i was told only to use low fat milk IF child had been diagnosed as obese by a paed.

No doubt, ask ten people, you'll get ten different answers, no wonder parenting is so hard, lack of consistent info.

yep i agree with gigi, its a good fat

the difference is fat and sugar really full has more fat low fat has more sugar so you cant win really
    my boys still have full i havent changed over.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

The fat in milk is good for kids and generally stay on full cream, some will change is child is bigger and putting on too much weight but generally other fats should be reduced before changing milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss E View Post
    Thanks hun, that's what I thought.

Negrita, I don't think you have, or even need to for that matter. From what I read ages ago, up until 2 years (thanks lilas) they need lots of fat in their diets to assist with brain development. After that point, I guess their brains don't need it as much so it isn't necessary in their diets.
    ahh ok....was worried i should've changed DD1 over to low fat, but she only has one cup of milk (full cream) per day with the balance of her dairy made up of yoghurt and cheese

I really struggle with the idea that the reason for our child obesity problems stem from full fat milks......hmmmm maybe more to do with drive thrus!

The fats in milk and butter are essential fats in the diet, and a actually good for you in correct amounts. They are not nasty and evil.
    TBH the notion that you would change a 2 year old to low fat anything as a weight related precaution is scary.

yuk...

never even considered drinking or buying low fat, milk is good for you

Full cream here too for our DD

My DD1 is 7yrs old and was BF til 18months then has had atleast 3 cups of milk a day, she loves it! She is as skinny as a weed! We go thru 1l of yoghurt a day and 3l milk and thats before Molly is on solids! Im thinking of buying a cow!

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    The fats in milk and butter are essential fats in the diet, and a actually good for you in correct amounts. They are not nasty and evil.
    TBH the notion that you would change a 2 year old to low fat anything as a weight related precaution is scary.
    That's interesting Lime... I'd always been under the impression that all animal fats were the ones to steer clear of because they have 'bad cholesterol' and that the fats in plants were the good ones. But I'm definately not an expert in these matters, but in terms of adult health I was always under that impression.

And just in case anyone is unsure, I definately wasn't thinking about changing DS to low fat as a weight related precaution. The whole thing of changing them over was something I've come across in the past a few times (reading bits and peices and I think my MCHN as well) and I had thought it was at two, but wasn't 100% sure. Just wanted to clarify it.

I think the difference is really negligible, when you are talking about normal healthy kids I wouldn't bother swapping. We were using low fat here befor Pie came along - we were all older & it was just for coffee & cereal - now we just all have full cream. Tastes nicer too

ETA - Miss E I have heard that too, although not sure if it is a recommendation that you make the change at two, but certainly that before then they should be on full fat products, ITMS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast