Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of the term Nazi.

Question Use of the term Nazi.

How does it make our Jewish members feel when they hear people using the term Nazi to describe people who aren't Nazis as in 'environmental nazi' or 'breastfeeding nazi'?
    I'm looking at one member in particular because I know you've posted about it previously and you were really eloquent but I can't find it anywhere.

I am not Jewish but i really loathe the overuse and misuse of the word, I think we have taken the real horror of what they did and trivialised it.

I am not Jewish, but have worked in a largely Jewish business and TBH you would be seriously reprimanded for using it.

I know it has become part of Aussie jargon, but I think some conciousness around its use is a good thing. I know most people use it without any intention of offending anyone, but just like terms such as retard, or gay, we need to be mindful of the wider implications of using a politically and emotionally laden term so flippantly.

I am not Jewish, nor do I know much about the Jewish way of life, however I know that I also don't like using the word "Nazi" therefore I never use it.

I don't really use it (as far as I know) but I had never really thought about how inappropriate it was. I think it comes from the Seinfeld episode with the 'soup-nazi' - it just kind of caught on from there and I know lots of people who say it in relation to lots of things. When I think about it, I can totally see that it is offensive, but it is amazing that it is so normalised that I don't really bat an eyelid when I hear it.

Thanks for your post Onyx

Im not jewish either but funny this comes up..

yest i was at the tattoo parlour and the guy across me was getting a HUGE nazi sign on his chest.

I actually felt embarrassed for him and quite ashamed that he still had that belief. But in truth he also made me feel quite uncomfortable, and i didnt know where to look.

Not a fan of the word. I have a pretty foul mouthed at times, but do not use the word Nazi, unless it's in relation to the holocaust. A truly horrific time in history that shouldn't be associated with jokes and tongue in cheek comment in my mind.

Interested to read a Jewish person's perspective, so subscribing.

I do understand the difference people mean when they say it these days BUT does that mean another *N* word could be used, because the 'meaning' is different. I think not

i'm not Jewish, but i don't think you need to BE Jewish to feel uncomfortable with the term. my ancestory is German, and as much as none of my family were involved (as far as i know - my great grandparents fled Europe for Australia at the time) it is still something that i don't like. i have been watching a lot of documentaries lately about the war and the holocaust, much of it with actual film of the time, and it saddens me no end

i know it's come from the Seinfeld soup-Nazi episodes - we're programmed to be desensitized by things like that... knew there was a reason i wasn't a Seinfeld fan - it's not amusing
    Last edited by briggsy's girl; August 4th, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

I'm Jewish by maternal bloodline (but not a practising Jew) and I find it offensive.

I have issues with other religious titles being used in a derogatory way as well (the term witch comes to mind).
    Last edited by Sopdet; August 5th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.

Default Use of the term Nazi.

I'm not Jewish but have a social conscience and find it offensive. To equate someone who feels strongly about breastfeeding with a political party that was responsible for the killing of millions of innocent Jews is just terrible. It may be slang and used for a number of years but so are lots of words used in the past until ppl realized how insulting they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated_mummy View Post
    I do understand the difference people mean when they say it these days BUT does that mean another *N* word could be used, because the 'meaning' is different. I think not

Drives me bonkers - simply becaue people clearly have no idea what it means or is if they use it in such context.
    And it isn't just an Australian thing.

As for teh *other* "N" word - I have no qualms using the word to people that choose to use it themselves to describe their own kind - it makes me sick. They are the only people I know of that degrade themselves by using a word they themselves term as offensive. POs me no end.

I've seen the term breastfeeding nazi used around the place for years and never thought anything of it.

Grammar nazi or spelling nazi is the other one I see a lot. I can be one of those at times ... I have been known to edit people's posts on forums (where I have mod rights) to correct grammar/spelling *innocent whistle*

Maybe someone needs to coin a new phrase that is less loaded and get it in circulation?

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    i'm not Jewish, but i don't think you need to BE Jewish to feel uncomfortable with the term. my ancestory is German, and as much as none of my family were involved (as far as i know - my great grandparents fled Europe for Australia at the time) it is still something that i don't like.
    OH yep ... maz hears you

Do you realise how many Germans HATE the term....they lived through the rule of the Austrian who destroyed millions of lives and families and branded them from that war onwards as the worlds biggest ******** race!!!!!!!
    Yes Im German....my parents immigrated here in 1969. My dad was beaten for not saluting to a soilder....he was 3 , My mum's grandparents and a few aunties were taken to concentration camps and never seen again my opa returned from war with only one leg and my great opa had everything, including the family title, castle, everything taken and burnt by the Nazi's......lots of those 'Nazi's' had to do what they did in the war...im talking about the guys lower down the scale..if they didnt they were tortured, beaten and killed infront of their families iand that was after they raped and sometimes killed the woman and children infront of them....yep so the world Nazi leaves a horendous taste in even German peoples mouths.

BG - I cant bring myself to watch those sort of programs..I break down and lose it for days afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post

Drives me bonkers - simply becaue people clearly have no idea what it means or is if they use it in such context.
    And it isn't just an Australian thing.

As for teh *other* "N" word - I have no qualms using the word to people that choose to use it themselves to describe their own kind - it makes me sick. They are the only people I know of that degrade themselves by using a word they themselves term as offensive. POs me no end.
    Yeah I get you

Its liek 'wog' just used to explain a Europian. Im a Europian thanks, not a wog

My FIL lived in Holland and his house had holes where bullets went when he was hiding in it during the 40's. (he had children late in life and is no longer with us). He was horrified when the Seinfeld episode came out and the term "Nazi" was used in jest. I think we really need to understand that real people died, and real people were forced to do things they wouldn't want to do but had to in order to survive. Its horrible.

I don't really get why people use the word Nazi to describe themselves... a breastfeeding Nazi? So... you'll bash, rape, torture people who don't agree with you or your decision to breastfeed??? I wouldn't want to associate myself with a Nazi, or people to think I'm anything like that. I don't personally find the word offensive, but I can see why others do. I do find it a silly thing to say, why would you want to be thought of as a Nazi? Everyone knows what kinds of things they did...

Arcadia... just a different perspective. Google buddhist cross. There is a Buddhist cross that look similar to the Nazi swastika. Most people get them confused because the only difference is the orientation - it's flipped upside down.

I know this question as been directed at Jewish members and I can understand why you're specifically seeking their views but I also wanted to contribute my own though I'm not Jewish.

I think the term nazi is commonly used in place of fascist. Its as though people treat them as interchangable terms and I don't think most people using "nazi" are actually referring to the political party and their actions, but rather fascism.

Personally, to bandy around the term "nazi" shows a lack of respect for the acts that occured under nazi leadership and a sense of "forgetting"- which I feel is a very dangerous thing to do. We need to remember and look for signs of this ever happening again so we don't let it occur.

And as an aside, I generally find the term nazi, even in the context of fascist to be quite insulting. So if the term was "breastfeeding fascist" for example then that's still a really harsh way to describe a person. I don't know of anyone who would actually be so extreme in their actions regardless of how passionate they were about a cause such as breastfeeding or environmentalism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast