Thread: anyone ever used knitting machine?

Default anyone ever used knitting machine?

A friend suggested that I could be a more prolific knitter if I bought a knitting maching (I think she was thinking of more jumpers for her kiddies ).

Has anyone ever used one or know anything about them?

Nup never used one, but I've often thought about learning how to knit. Is it hard to learn, I'd be teaching myself...

Pretty easy but a bit frustrating at first while you get to know our own rhythm.

Maybe start with knitting a square for the blanket that we are knitting - can't find the link this second it is in general discussion. It would be a way of teaching yourself a stitch without it beign too daunting.

I've wondered about knitting machines...are they still available? I remember our old neighbor got one and it was fascinating to watch.

Sarah you can so teach yourself knitting. There is a website called knittinghelp which has video tutorials. It's so much easier than trying to understand sketches of knitting from books!

There are a lot that come up cheaply on ebay but there are also a couple of places in Australia that still seem to sell them. I just don't know a lot about them and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info available on the web either. I can imagine that it would be the sort of thing that I would either really love or really hate.

I had a look on ebay and they look way complicated! I'm sure it's something that you would get the knack of with practice.

paradise lost Guest

I've used knitting machines. They're really good for doing plain knitting (stockingette) or simple colour patterns (like stripes) in stockingette but for more complicated patterns, lace patterns and cables they're not much good as you have to manually move the cable, form the loop for lace etc. and it's too time consuming. They're ok for rib once you've gotten the hang of it all, basically each stitch is held on a hook and the position of the hook determines whether it is knitted or not. If you just wanted to make a jumper though, you could do one in a day no problem once you'd gotten the hang of it.

Bx

I remember watching Mum use her machine, it was fascinating. She always regretted getting rid of it...

Seems to be the general concensus Kaz.

The ones that I saw cheaply on Ebay people from the machine knitting society tell me to steep clear of because they will most likely be missing bits and a novice won't be able to tell. There seems to eb one place that sells them online - new ones that is - so I am currently saving but they are abotu $1000 so I have to save and make sure that I will really use it.

A knitting machine! Now why did I never think of that? I have started knitting a baby blanket ( not yet preg) and it is only 5cm long (x 145cm - DH conned me into making it super big. I suspect he just wants to cuddle on the couch with it and the dog). I don't think I'll ever finish it - but a knitting machine might just get me there

I've knitted a pair of booties which are gorgeous and very easy. Also have a very easy beanie pattern if anyone is interested.

xx Keep gorgeous, girls.