Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the art of crochet

Default the art of crochet

Anyway, ao I finally subscribed, waiting for the delivery. I was flicking through some of my books and noticed that the magazine was teaching me the wrong stitches. Since bb was down I couldnt ask you ladies.

Anyway, after some research I found that uk standards and definitions are diff to the US. Why???????
    Makes it so confusing when ulk refers to a treble and us a double!

still on the teaching contract roundabout

yep - the UK refers to the number of loops on the hoop I think for memory. The US is one step down in the name of the stitch ie US single is the UK double. I just decided that I need to work out if there were double (UK) or single (US) or if they weren't used to see if it was double (US) or treble (UK) stitches in most patterns to work out if it was using US or UK terms and just got used to both lots of terms.

There are websites out there that do give the conversions (ie term conversions) but I've just gotten used to knowing which is which after a while. It's been a while since I looked for conversions as I tend to stick to the same pattens. I could go look for them if you like (I think I've still got them saved in my bookmarks along with some that actually give a video demo of the stitch - although I don't promise that the video ones still work)

By the way most crochet mags we tend to get in Aust. are US ones. European (& Japanese pattern) crochet mags often have charts with different symbols for the stitches just to make it more confusing (along side the UK terms)

ETA Here is a Aust conversion site with all things crochet linked in (hooks, yarns, stitches etc)- and it's still active; the ones I had in my bookmarks had all died - told you it was a while ago that I looked at them
    Last edited by leckert; September 14th, 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more info and hidden link

it's the same for the crochet hook sizes, UK sizes are different to US sizes.

If you have old patterns (UK ones) the hooks may be numbered eg 4, 5, 6 instead of in mm eg 4mm, 4.5mm.
    Im not sure what the conversion is

i rang up today and finally subscribed

So should we do a crochet-along? Everyone post when they've done each square? Questions, comments, etc?

Thanks for the info Leckert.
    LOL today i went to big w and got a whole heap of yarn!!!!

Luckily yarn is on sale at the moment coz winter is over so im stocking up lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2OneSweetBun View Post
    Luckily yarn is on sale at the moment coz winter is over so im stocking up lol
    Spotlight has 40%-60% off a lot of yarn at the moment. I have to go in & get some

Damn! i didnt know that. MIght go check it out

The only problem is, its soo hard to find yarn that is 100% cotton or bamboo. Only spotlight sells it and theres not much of a variety but it sure feels good!

DD has eczema so acrylic isnt good for her skin

Sugar & cream is supposed to be really good but it's american, so you'd need to buy it online. Im waiting on a postage quote from an ebay seller

still on the teaching contract roundabout

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    If you have old patterns (UK ones) the hooks may be numbered eg 4, 5, 6 instead of in mm eg 4mm, 4.5mm.
    Im not sure what the conversion is
    the site I suggested earlier has those conversions too.

How's everyone going so far? I've done the first square and am halfway through the second, they're the only issues I have so far. It's rekindled my love of crocheting so I'm gonna start a baby blanket and also do some extra squares in my own wool, so I can have a few different afghans by the end of it.

Is everyone doing the extra patterns? I don't wear crocheted clothes or use crocheted soft furnishings so I probably won't worry about it. If they have patterns for baby clothes I'd give it a go though.

I do it most nights while we're watching tv, that way I don't feel so lazy

I have the conversions here if anyone would like me to post them

I only got my 1st order during the week while i was in hospital, it was for number 3 & 4 no idea where 1 & 2 are. Will give it a week or so and then chase it up. Haven't started any of the squares as yet.

I got my order (3 and 4) yesterday, all my squares are done

I want to make that nice red over shirt thingo, but Im yet to find a measuring tape to see if it will go into my size...

Im having so much fun with it, kicking myself that its taken 15 years to move past knitting into crochet though

Ive made a few beanies and some for the local hospital,s scn.

Am using the granny square technique to make a large baby blanket. I should post some pics up soon.

Havent tried the beanie pattern in the magazine though.

With the pattern for the first patch you can make bigger bubbles by wrapping the yarn twice.

I'd love to learn to knit but everyone i know is right handed at knitting and i'm left handed.

How is everyone's crochet going?? I just finished DD's granny square inspired blanket. Hope this works http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...achmentid=1177

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast