Thread: Does anyone crochet?

Default Does anyone crochet?

I wanted to make some cosy winter things and decided that because I have never been able to get the hang of increasing and decreasing in knitting, that I would crochet instead. I have so far made a beanie for DH, a beret for me and a scarf. I am working on another beret at the moment. The thing I like about crochet is there are so many ways to make the stitches look different.

I used to LOVE crocheting!! I made mainly blankets, as I don't really know any more than the basics.

I used to have it sitting in front of the TV so I was never sitting doing nothing, I could always crochet!

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowa_girlie View Post
    I used to LOVE crocheting!! I made mainly blankets, as I don't really know any more than the basics.

I used to have it sitting in front of the TV so I was never sitting doing nothing, I could always crochet!

I used to do those granny squares as a child (funnily enough my Grandmother taught me how to!!) but I have since discovered it is so easy to do round things like berets and beanies. The only thing I don't like which makes it hard to do in front of the telly is counting the stitches. If I look up at the TV too much I lose count and have to stop and count the stitches I have already done.

I have just discovered it and love it! Blankets and Shawls have been my fist few projects

I want to make a big shawl but am not sure how to make it triangular. I also am worried about how much wool it would take!!

I've been making a tartan pattern rug - someone said its an afghan but I'm not too sure about that? Pretty much you make a large square and then make a pile of chain "threads" which get threaded through the rug in both directions, giving it thickness and warmth.

i made a bunny rug for bubs and one for my bed plus couch throws, i love it my next door neighbor tought me my sisters and mom.

some one said a shawl, i would suggest and i mean suggest as i don't know more than basic...do 3 corners on starting and make two sides larger than the 3rd one, good luck!

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know if there are any crocheting classes I can take in Melbourne? I'd love to crochet a blanket for DD!

Try spotlight, they often have them.

Where in Melbourne are you?

Quote Originally Posted by cherryblossum View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know if there are any crocheting classes I can take in Melbourne? I'd love to crochet a blanket for DD!
    I refreshed my crocheting skills by watching vids online. Just google crochet patterns how to and videos or try youtube.

My nearest Spotlight is Springvale, but they don't hold any classes there
    I watched a few You tube videos - thanks guys.

What size hook would I need to crochet a blanket? I was at Spotlight today and was confused.

Also what kind of yarn would you recommend/suggest for a blanket?

I'd love to know how to crochet too
    anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to learn when u dont know anything about it??

Cherryblossum, Melbourne has a very healthy craft scene, a really good place to start is have a look at "Meet me at Mikes" blog. The writer Pip is a Melbournian, she has a shop in Brunswick I think, released a book last year (a collection of patterns from local Melbourne crafters) and runs a regular crafty get together.

She is having a "Granny a day" challenge at the moment where she is trying to crochet a granny square (one of the most basic crochet patterns) to put together to make a rug. It is a great place to start - she has posted some step by step instructions on her blog.

The crafty get together is a lovely idea where people meet regularly to work on their own little projects in a shared space. It means you can have company, admire others work, show off your own, learn new techniques, pass on things and generally be inspired by being around like minded people... check out Pip's blog for details.

Hope that helps, but watch out... its addictive!!!
    Last edited by jackrose; January 21st, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Update,
    Brown owl is the crafty group that meet regularly, they are actually Australia wide although started in Melbourne.

Melbourne have a few meeting places,
    - Templestowe
    - Carlton North
    - Oakleigh
    - Preston

You can find a link to the details on a button on the side of Pip's 'Meet me at Mike's' Blog.

i crochet, i started just before my 21st birthday almost 5years ago. I crochet left handed and have made a few blankets over the years.

cherryblossom: When i 1st started crocheting i used a bigger crochet hook until i got my tension right and then i went down a crochet hook size or 2. HTH.

I havent finished anything lately as its been a bit hot for crocheting but i have a few projects on the go.