Thread: looking for a pattern for a matinee jacket

Default looking for a pattern for a matinee jacket

hi all

looking for a pattern for a babies matinee jacket - my nana used to make them for every child that was born, and i'm looking for a pattern for my mum - she wants to try making one for our Gremlin. Nan used a knitting pattern (she didn't crochet at all) and used to make really pretty ones (not boring basic ones - these had patterns on them) - so hard to explain

does anyone have a pattern for a matinee jacket like this? i've tried ebay (they only have premade ones - mostly in colors - i wanted white!) and the patterns that are tehre are really boring squarish ones, not pretty like Nan used to make!

can you help me out at all?

BG

When you say patterns do you mean like textured patterns i.e. cables etc or do you mean like a picture or different colour thread patterns otherwise known as fair isle knitting.?

just so as i know what to suggest.....I have quite a few older knitting and crotchet books heres that are my mums so date right back as far as the sixties (or even fifties!) I should be able to find something nice!

ETA: I just had a quick look at the RAVELRY site and there are 22 pages of patterns in the search term baby jacket in the patterns section...some really yummy ones. Ravelry is a knitting/crotcheting community site....you have to join though to see the stuff.....is free and is an awesome handcrafts site.......can take a few days to get the membership sorted as it has been so popular although I beleive thay are almost caught up with authorising new members so should be okay (took me 2 or 3 days to get authorised at first)....strongly suggest joining!!!
    Last edited by melbel; January 3rd, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

i'm looking more at a cabling or something like that - not colored threads or anything like that. will have a look at that site and see what i can find...

sanks hun! should have said something when i was there last week lol

good morning

there is another site knitting pattern central which has thousands of patterns available. I frequent the crochet one on a daily basis. The search function is really easy to use and she has broken everything down into subjects and sub- subjects

BG - is it a lacy pattern?? With buttons or ties?? I assume long sleeve and cardigan type. If you can give me some more details I have a few different patterns - both old and new.

yeah it was a lacy type pattern with long sleeves - cadigan - can't remember if nan made with buttons or with ties (ties easier for mum - she hasn't knitted forever so it's going to be a big effort!) - as long as it's knitted not crocheted as she has no idea how to crochet...

I'll check through the patterns I have and get back to you. I can scan and email them or copy and post - your choice

thanks michelle - scan and email is fine - i can forward them to mum and she can print if she wants to