Thread: Need help with crotcheting a blanket

Default Need help with crotcheting a blanket

So I'm probably nesting as I'm 3 months pregnant, but I've decided its an absolute neccesity that I knit a blanket 5 minutes ago lol. I've never crotcheted before but have watched some videos today and have in the past used crotcheting to mend things and join knitting squares.

After watching some videos I've decided its probably safer to just do a single stitch to start with as I want to use and interesting wool as I'm not a fan of the nanny looking plain wool squares.

So my question is: what sort of wool/yarn would you suggest and what size needle will I need? The one I have is pretty small so I'm not sure if its suitable. I want a blanket that will be nice and warm in winter but obviously this isn't antarctica so I don't want to die of heat exhaustion.

Would love any help or advice from people that have done anything similar. Thanks Lovely people!

8ply wool/yarn is usually the best to use, what size hook really depends on your tension.

a small hook like a 3.0 will make your work tight and a bigger hook like a 6.0 will make your work loose of course both depend on how tight or loose your tension is.

I crochet and mostly use a 5.0 for my projects, for edging i usually use a 3.0-4.0 and for projects that i want a little looser than normal i'll use a 5.5-6.0.

You can buy books from Spotlight or Lindcraft or you may even be able to borrow them from the library. They show you how to do different stitches, how to change wool colours, edging and lots of other different things.

I hope some of that was helpful.

5 is a nice size for 8 ply, and yes, use some nice quality wool

Thanks girls. I've just had a play with the needle I have which is a 3.5 and I think maybe a little bigger would be good. I was also using 8 ply so that's perfect. I was wondering has anyone crotched with the feathery wool. I have made many scarves with it and thought that it might look alot nicer than plain wool, but I was worried it may be too hard to see the stitches? What would you suggest?

I am just starting to try and teach myself how to crochet, I have got several books out of the library and there are some gorgeous things in there - so far I am finding it way harder than knitting. A money saving tip, check out the Salvo's for crochet hooks, I have got quite a few different sizes from there and are only 50 cents each.

Thanks for the hint wysiwyg I would never have thought of the Salvo for the hooks!

Think I'll go have a little look at Spotlight tomorrow to see what sort of stuff they have.

How tight was your crocheting with the 3.5?

i've not tried to crochet with the feathery wool as it makes me itch, i've only ever seen someone knit with it and it does look nice, i wonder how it would turn out if it was used for crocheting.

Salvo's or the like can be good for 2nd hand books or patterns, i always have a squizz whenever i go in there you just never know what you might find.

*Just a hint: Spotlight books can be a expensive

It could just be me as am only learning but just tried crocheting with some feathery wool (black which I find difficult to crochet with anyway - from the Salvo's again!) and was almost impossible as couldn't see the stitches at all. I can see how it would work for knitting as you can almost knit without looking but crocheting seems to me more "eye" intensive.

Yeah thats what my mum said when I called her, too hard, I'll have a look at Spotlight for some yarn or wool and then might pop into Lifeline to look for hooks and patterns. Thanks for all your advice.

Mum also said if I'm making a blanket that I should do a form of a granny square but just keep going as this makes a blanket that stretches less? What do you all suggest?