Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who want to learn to knit

Default For those who want to learn to knit

I just saw an add on TV for one of those weekly magazine thingies where you build a collection over time at the newsagency.

This one was for knitting and the first week cost 2.95 but included a how to knit DVD, needles, wool and a pattern book. I don't know how good it would be or anything else about it but it would be a cheap way for people to try it out and learn how as you couldn't buy a pair of needles and a ball of wool for that.

I didn't even catch what it was called but I guess the newsagency would know.

I actually saw it today in the newsagent... I would love to learn to knit, so would my DD. My 25yr old brother knows how to!!! So funny to see... he is a singer in a band, he is a surfer and studying to be a teacher... and he sits down at night and knits!!!

Ooooh cool, I'll have to have a look at how much it will cost weekly cos the first is always cheaper than the rest. Thanks heaps Taffy

Sarah - I figured that the first one is probably all you need to get started and then decide about the rest of them - I would guess they were about $10 - I think that the main project in them was a knitted blanket but there seemed to be other patterns in each week (or so it looked from the add)

Lisa - I saw a book in the bookshop the other day that your DD would probably like. It was called somethign like Teen Knits and had things like beanies, leg warmers and other bits of funky clothing that were really easy to knit. I actually thought about buying it but my knitting book collection or almost the same size as my cooking book selection now and I really ahve to cut back Be careful - it is definately an addiction

Oh wow!!! Thanks Taffy... I'm definitely going to look out for it... maybe even see if they can order it in for Maddy. She is such a creative little girl, she will love it

I bought it today

Our local post office is a newsagent as well & I saw it while I was in there so splurged the $3 for it!! Like Taffy said, the main project is a blanket made up of a heap of squares. Each issue teaches you a different technique for a new square for the blanket. The rest of the issues are $7.95 and that includes the magazine plus wool to make the next square. There are also patterns in each issue to use the technique that they teach for that issue if that makes sense. Seems like there is a bag, top, scarf & little girls cardigan in amongst them.

It says there are 90 issues all up to complete the blanket. I think I might end up getting the whole lot so I can make the blanket!! I'm going to try & get it so each square is done by the next week so I can start the next.

Sounds like a great idea Sarah. We all expect weekly updates (with photographic evidence) to see how you are going.
    I think maybe we will set up a special journal somewhere for you so we can all cheer you along

I've been getting this for a while, over here we're up to issue 12 or 13. But if you like it you need to book it with the newsagent. The news agent is having major supply issues because it is so popular.

So far I've made a little shrug for DD, a hat for my sister and nearly finished a halter neck top for me, and I didn't know how to knit before.

Woohoo Captain, sounds like you've done great Thanks for the heads up on booking it too, but I might end up subscribing to make it even easier.

I've opened up the pack now & it looks really cool & pretty easy to follow the directions by the looks. There's a few patterns listed -
    * the throw blanket of course
    * bathroom mat
    * funnel neck jumper
    * pom pom scarf
    * floor cushion
    * stripy bag
    * child's shrug
    * cushions
    * halter neck top

Subscribing looks good, you get some Australian subscribers only bonuses with it You get issue 2 for $4.95 & issue 3 for free + a divider to keep the magazines in, a needle case & a knitting tidy. You then get 4 issues bundled together every month for the $7.95 each, after the 3 delivery you get a bonus kit to make a skinny scarf.

YAY!! All excited about my new project.

Oh goodness - we have created a monster!

LOL you have

I might have to get this!

Ohh FJ - just seen your Av - looking Hot!

I think I will have to have a look - although pretty sure DP will kill me if I spend money on knitting at the moment (specially after what my dog has just done)

I think I might need to get this too - I want to master knitting! Sarah - how much was it to subscribe?

MG

hmmmm, i'm already getting a caligraphy set like this - wonder if i could con DH into getting the knitting one too....

my nan started teaching me to knit when i was a kid, but we didn't get too far before she died, so i'd love to learn properly...

I've seen this too and would love to learn to knit... but 90 issues at $7.95??? That's $715.50!!!! :shock:

I'll be watching this thread girls... I've tried to teach myself from books and the diagrams are always so bad I wonder what these ones will be like?

Claire Guest

After reading this post I saw the kit in the local newsagency - I've wanted to learn to knit for ages but have no older rellies around to teach me more than the basic knit stitch I already know.

I've finsished my tension square and about to make my first square for real - just trying to find some time to sit down and do it!

I decided to subscribe for the extra bits you get - I'm a sucker for a bargain.

oh wow i just got so excited reading through this thread....till I saw it was 90 issues

I would love to learn though..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast