Thread: What was the first thing you ever knitted?

Default What was the first thing you ever knitted?

I'm a baby knitter, only started a few weeks ago, and I'm knitting a pair of longies to put over Jambin's cloth nappies. Shannon is teaching me, using her pattern and Addi Turbo circular needles (which I love - I may never use straight needles again lol).

What was your first ever knitting project?

ooh - i'm so boring! my first was back when i was about 10 - my nan taught me how to knit (no purl - she didn't think i had tha patience) and i'd knit little squares every school holiday to go on a blanket my aunt was making (she has intellectual disability)

when nan passed when i was 14, i stopped most knitting (though i've made a couple of scarves on straight knitting) - only recently started getting that knitting mag (art of knitting) and teaching myself to knit

eventually i'll move onto something more omplext than patterned squares - but i'm learning heaps as i go!

BG, I was thinking about doing some patterned squares just to teach myself all the different combinations of knit/purl so I bet you're light years ahead of me there.

DH said to me last night that he'd be proud to wear something I knitted - I just laughed and told him I thought that was at least a few years away!!

No laughing please. I tried to knit a baby cardigan for my niece when my SIL was pg. It's still not finished. My niece is 18 years old. True story.

Can I just have a little giggle .... please!!! You know, your niece might be ready to have her own baby in the not too distant future, and you'll have a beautiful cardie all ready

I'll fess up that I'm currently working on a quilt I started before DH and I even met (i.e. in the 1990's). But this year is my year of UFO's (unfinished objects) so it's going to be finished soon, I hope.

When I was 7 I knitted a beeootiful scarf - it was pastel pink, lime green, white and mission brown. Thanks for the unwanted wool balls Mum.
    I haven't knitted for ages. I would but Mum always got it started and finished for me and without her I can't do it...

Knitting squares lol

Then scarves and I have never moved on lol

I can't remember the first thing I knitted. It would have been when I was 6 or 7, possibly younger. I remember knitting dolls clothes at 7. I knitted jelly bags (knitted bags to go inside sleeping bags.....veeeeery warm) for guides at around 8 years old (still have one, Mum fished it out for me the other week).

Cherie, aren't the circular needles just great! I hate seaming and love the fact that you can knit without having to stop and turn the work (unless doing a short row LOL).

cherie - the mag set has some awesome squares - i'm almost up to the ones where they start teaching cabling - bit scared about throwing a third needle into the mix, but hey, i'll get there!

let me know if you want some of the patterns - won't take much to run them through a photcopier for you (and then you can make a pretty blanket too!

I think my first project was a scarf, I still do them by the bucket load! LOL! but I have gone on to other things

Trying to think - I made some knitted teddy bears but their feet and hands are incomplete as I never got the hang of crocheting.

I also made doll blankets.

The best thing I made though was a woollen jumper for DH when we were still going out together...I gave it to him for his birthday.

My Nan said 'that means you are going to marry him now' (presumably an Irish old wives tale - but understandable really - if you are going to take that long making something it would be hoped that you have a long term relationship...)

Ah, I'm missing my knitting needles - they're still in a box somewhere after the move...

I knitted a matinee jacket but DH said it was too girly so it never got worn and it got given to the Salvos. It was a bit dodgy too

First thing, technically, that I ever knitted, was a boob tube dress for Barbie on, you guessed it, the Barbie knitting machine!
    I remember my Mum trying to teach me to knit or crochet with these little plastic needles with fruit on the ends... it ended in tears, I would have been about 7...
    Taught myself how to knit just boring old straight stich (or whatever the actual name for dull knitting is...) when I was about 19 & made the weirdest looking beanie you ever did see... would never fit anyone that might care to wear it...

When I was about 6 or 7 I knitted a babies jumper for lady who was to become a nan for the 1st time I remember her as Mrs Mac. I can knit just about anything. Find it a bit boring though. Probably been doing it to long.

Hi Guys, I have just started to knit after learning when i was 8 and my great aunty gave be this pattern for trauma teddies for the red cross. It's pretty easy and you can do different colours if you want or all one colour. The teddies are given to children and adults who go through a trauma event as something for them to hug and give them some comfort. It's a great idea and i have the pattern if anyone wants it