Thread: Yarn bombing - would you do it?

Default Yarn bombing - would you do it?

Have you heard of yarn bombing? would you do it?
    Would you call it graffiti or art?

I came across yarn bombing today & thought it seemed very interesting, basically people knit or crochet something & put it in public places.
    For example knitting up along rectangle & wrapping it around a tree or a pole. In some cases people have gone as far as covering an entire park bench & covering a red phone booth (in the UK)
    Other people knit little "scarves" with flowers, etc attach to them & tie them to the poles street signs are attached to

If you google yarn bombing it will come up with links (Im not sure if I can post them here)

So what are your opinions?

I had never heard of this before, why would people do this?

The tree looks good!

I've seen that I think it's funny!

i think it looks good but im attached to my work so couldn't pass it up and do that lol.

I think I want to knit my tree a scarf! What happens when it rains

it takes me to long to knit anything so by the time im finished it would be just weird

but it may be a way to get rid of some of the not so awesome items that have been knitted for the kids

doudou funny you should say that, just after I posted that I remembered that this morning I was looking at some woolen knitted jumpers that I will probably never wear again and wondered what I should do with them.

There is no-one around where I live so my tree wouldn't offend any neighbours

I think it would be cool to "tag" so stuff. Like have a small signature piece you put on everything

If I could knit I would do it. During the Melbourne Fringe Festival a while ago I was on a tram that had been yarn bombed - it was great to see some quirkiness in amongst the workday crowd

I just googled this, had never heard of it before, and this is so so so so COOL!
    I wish I had heard of this when I was a teenager, this is exactly the silly quirky thing we would have run amok in the city covering stuff, I can picture us now!

I think it's awesome!!

But it took me about 5 or 6 years to knit a simple scarf... I can't see me being anywhere near coordinated to dress up a tree.

I've seen some in Hobart, actually! We were there on holiday recently & I saw a bike rack that had neat, multi coloured leggings on it. Very cool!

Funny this thread should come up today, yesterday in a book shop I saw a book about a similar thing, can't remember if was called crochet bombing or yarn bombing though but had a picture of a pair of crochet trainers on the front hung over telephone wires - looked quite cool.

I think it is more like art than graffiti, the problem with graffiti is it can't easily be removed in most cases whereas this can. I am not sure if I would do it as like others have said takes me so long to do things not sure would just want to leave out on the street - I might have a look at the book though.

I think was on triple j a while back a group of knitters were knitting a life size Sandra "Woolock" - I think projects like this where a group of people get together to do something sound like fun.