Thread: Birthday party at the play centre - guideance please.

Default Birthday party at the play centre - guideance please.

One of the boys in his class has invited DS2 to a birthday party at a play centre on Sunday. He's super excited about it (more excited than he is about his own celebration on Saturday lol). All the play centre parties I have been to before have been for friend's children so we've had coffee while the kids go nuts and gorge themselves on cake. What is the procedure when it's your children's friends not your friends? Do I stick around for the 2 hours making small talk or do I dump and run?
    Also if DH is out of town is it really rude to take DS1 if I pay for him myself and tell him not to eat the party food? I hope it won't come to that but if DH has to work I don't really have a baby sitter so I won't have much choice.

I have seen older and younger siblings at these kinds of parties - on the invite (if it is one supplied from the play center) it usually says that other children will need to be paid for - and I dont think there is any problem with that at all. I am sure when there is cake and food left over they will offer it around to other kids anyway?

I personally am not ready to leave DD at a birthday party by herself (even though I dread the awkward small talk lol) - but I have friends that are ok with it - so I think that is more of a personal choice.

Good luck with it - I hope he has a great time!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

All the party's at play centres I have been to there is a massive amount of food anyway and an extra small child or 2 makes no diff as they dont actually eat that much at a party anyway as too busy playing!!

Enjoy

If I know that I will have the other kids with me, I usually do a 'dump and run' LOL. It's just too hard at the end of the party when they don't get a party bag - I've been there done that before and it aint pretty LOL. All the explaining in the world can't help the sadness of not scoring a party bag from the party you weren't invited to LOL. But if I know the host personally, I will let them know I will have the other kids and probably stay for a little while or for the whole party.

We just had one of these. But t was a friend so I stayed and chatted. I will give you some info that I experianced.

I had to pay for my younger two (as they weren't invited or put down as the guest) and if they were caught in the party room (table and chairs) with the other kids eating food "friend" had to pay for the extra kids. So check out the rules of the play centre you go to.

Love MN ;-)

I'd go with the dump and run if your comfortable with it thats what I would do

Hey Onyx,

How old is DS? I would do the 'dump & run' depending on the age - also dependant on how busy the centre is & how much you know & trust the birthday child's mother. Do you feel comfortable that she is going to have a general eye on the kids? Playcentres are sooooooooooo busy that sometimes you need to be an octopus to make sure everybody is doing ok - that comes back to an age thing though as well!

Also, I think it's absolutely fine to take DS2 along. I have done this before with Claudia & I just pay for her entry & get her 'own special party food' to enjoy. Like you said, if DH is working, there is no other option.

HTH!

i think if it were me i would stay, because i only have DD as well, so i would just pay for her and let her play. but i know it would be harder if you have more kids. but i think as long as you pay for the other children it's generally not a problem. it might be an opportunity for you to get to know DS's friends mum if they're going to remain friends?

LOL @ your son being more excited that this party than his, it's so typical isn't it?

Those play centers are so busy and noisy on the weekends I wouldn't stay if I could help it! DS2 is probably okay with you not staying if you are comfortable there are enough adults at that party to keep an eye on him. It can be mayhem!

I think that DS will be ok with being left. He's pretty comfortable in play centres and he will have lots of friends there. Maybe we can play it by ear...
    The getting to know the mother idea makes me think that I might even send DH instead if he's home because it's a Dad not a Mum who is hosting it. The Mum works FIFO and I have no idea if she will be there or not.
    I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that nothing comes up that takes DH away lol.

I think either option is fine. I've had similar situations where I wasn't sure & I asked when we got there... 'would you lie me to stay or are they ok' .. that kind of thing.
    I can't see why it would be a problem for your DS2 to stay if he had to, but I would be opting for the dump & run, I have to admit I hate kids birthday parties, not my strong suit :s