Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crowded public transport - what do you do?

I haven't used public transport since I got ill enough to need to ask. I'm pretty much at the point where if I can't drive and park there, I don't go. Especially with a toddler tagging along for the journey now. But the thought is always at the back of my mind - you never know when you may NEED to use public transport. Not that there's a great deal of it available in our area!

That said, I'm probably too shy to ask, and would really want to avoid having to explain my illness to others in order to "prove" I need a seat more than someone else. The walking stick is starting to look like a good option - but not easy to use one when I have the pram most of the time!

BW

BW, you can get sticks that fold up to about 15cm long. i used to keep one in my work bag, and there is still one in my car.

What type of places would carry them, HotI?

I think i got mine from the chemist. Mine is just black, lightweight and it has elastic through the middle so folds out like a camping tent pole when you take the strap off. But you can s****y ones if you want to add abit of style
    Last edited by HotI; May 21st, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: remove link

What a shame, that link isn't working because the word is being censored. It's driving me nuts trying to figure out what it is!

it rhymes with tank but starts with w

Oh, of course! The one 'swear word' I didn't think of in the last 10 minutes, lol. Although I'm pretty sure the link isn't allowed coz it's to a store...

i was kinda hoping BW would see it and then i could delete it! Might PM instead so i don't get a smack.

Uh, that plan didn't work cos I was out all day, again. Thanks for the PM - they are some pretty funky looking walking sticks!

BW

I prefer to stand anyways, I dont like sitting next to strangers, or fighting my way out of the door at my stop.
    When I was pregnant everyone offered me their seats

my mum has a super svanky one, with swirls, etc ... if I ever need one, I want one like Dr House, with flames up the side!! but hopefully by the time I may need one, someone will have perfected teletransportation, so I won't need to use the train anymore.

though I may miss that reading and nap time ...

while I don't like to need to ask (when I was pg, or recovering from surgery, etc) but when I have needed to, I've normally been able to spot a student. not sure about other states, but in Vic they only pay a couple of hundred dollars per year for their student pass (compared to my $1800) so I don't feel the slightest twinge about asking them for their seat. When I was pg (even when my bump was pretty modest) I found that if I made a move toward a seat, a student would jump up and offer the seat - but obviously, when it's illness or something not "obvious" it's trickier ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12