Thread: Do you tip your postman?

Default Do you tip your postman?

Our Aus post delivery guy knows me by my first name - we have sooooo many things delivered. I do a bit of online shopping but also we get stuff from home all the time too for DD. He's a lovely guy, always chats and asks me how DD is (haha, he was here delivering stuff every single day in the first two weeks of her life!).

Anyway, do you tip your postal delivery guy? If so, what do you tip? I'm fairly sure that he'd be unable to accept cash so would a bottle of wine be appropriate?

What do you think?

My MIL was only just telling me that Boxing Day used to be a day to give presents to the postie, garbo etc. I think if you would like to it would be ok and a nice thing to do.

My DP's Nan used to leave a 6 pack of beer out for the garbos with a christmas ribbon on last collection before xmas. Hmmm, I have a lovely postie I might think about a bonus at the end of the year. He doesn't bat an eyelid if I answer in hello kitty PJs

why can't he accept cash? If that's what you want to give him I say go for it.

I think wine is lovely. But what about something like movie vouchers in case he doesn't drink?

My mum always left the posty and garbo beer. We did grow up in the country so it easier to get to know those guys than here in the City.
    If I knew my posty better, I would leave him something. Are you thinking of your Aust Post courier guy or the day to day posty man?
    MG's suggestion is a good one, regarding the movie voucher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    why can't he accept cash? If that's what you want to give him I say go for it.

I think wine is lovely. But what about something like movie vouchers in case he doesn't drink?
    Are Australian Post employees, Public Servants? If so, as Public Servants we can not accept gifts. Its described in our ethical standards.

If gifts are accepted they have to be declared. I think there is legislation/policies/procedures noted somewhere noting what steps have to be taken.

Maybe some chocolates and a lovely card??

Nope, mine is useless!

Now my parcel lady is a different story... She deserves a bottle of wine, or 3! lol

I don't think they're public servants, coz they're not government employees anymore. When I used to work in a Post Shop we'd get pressies at the end of the year from some of the regulars - box of chocolates generally, occasionally a bottle of wine.

If you're happy with them, why not!

Quote Originally Posted by Keike View Post
    I don't think they're public servants, coz they're not government employees anymore.
    :yeahthat:

I have seen ads for franchise of Post Shop... and they usually have to tender for it...

Yeah, it's the Aus post parcel man! Not my every day postman, DH wants to punch HIM because he's wrecked our front lawn with his stupid bike tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by MummaSue View Post
    Yeah, it's the Aus post parcel man! Not my every day postman, DH wants to punch HIM because he's wrecked our front lawn with his stupid bike tyres.

We actually had to put our mailbox on the ROAD edge due to this!
    Because our house is at the end of the street, not a cul de sac, and how our house is positioned, if we had it up on the fenceline he would tear up our lawn everyday.
    He FOLDS PARCELS to shove them in my letter box, leaves letters half hanging out in the rain, I get random mail deliveries on sundays and mail clearly delivered often days late...
    The parcel people rock though! She was working 7 days for 3 weeks before christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    Nope, mine is useless!
    Mine too. They would only get coal.

No way here.. ours throws our mail on the ground because she thinks the letter box is too far away for her to reach, when in fact its on the road side (they deliver by car here).. she also likes to push out letter box around so you cant read the number from the street.. so no bloody way here.. might tip her with some eggs

I'd tip them... Over and off their motorbike I don't know what we did wrong, but even at our old place our mail went missing. There are so many things I know people have sent me that I've never received - including a letter an old friend sent me when Ianto died

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yeah, i think I'll give him some wine. And yeah, the regular postie will get tipped right off his bike!