Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H

Default H

Not sure if this is etiquette as such, but couldn't find another home for this question:

How of you pronounce the letter "h"?

How is it supposed to be pronounced in English (British/Australian not American).

Is it aych?
    Or haych?

Default Re: H

AY-tch.

Most definitely NOT Haytch.

(Can you tell this is a particular pet peeve of mine? )

AY-TCH. I was always taught Haytch is wrong.

"Aitch" here too. I get all twitchy when people pronounce it Haitch -_-

Absolutely what the others say. It's a pet peeve of mine too.

In the Oxford dictionary, the letter H is spelled "aitch". Not haitch.

My grade 6 teacher was big on this. I still remember her writing "aitch" on the blackboard and drumming it into us

I know it's aitch but it always comes out of my mouth as haitch.

The letter H does not begin with an H.

In other news, in Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.

because i had such an awesome primary education...I had no idea that it was pronounced Ay-tch hahahaha.

thank goodness this is an online forum and I have never had to say it in front of y'all

Is it different state to state? I've always put the 'h' sound in front and that's how they teach it at my kids school. There is a phonics program and they do the h with a 'h' sound. To be honest it annoys me when it's said with the 'aitch' sound. I'm in qld by the way.

Must of been my little school (80 kids all up) education down fall, but I've always said it as haych lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius2 View Post
    because i had such an awesome primary education...I had no idea that it was pronounced Ay-tch hahahaha.

thank goodness this is an online forum and I have never had to say it in front of y'all
    Well I am glad I am not the only one. I have always said haych

Aitch. Drives me nuts otherwise.

DS says haych and he's never got that here so I think that's what they were teaching last year at kindy. I will drum that out of him!

Haytch here too. To say it without the H sound is so strange to me. It's like those that say erbs instead of herbs and ello instead of hello, it's just not right to me.

Haytch here too, drives me nuts when people say aytch lol

I'm a primary school teacher and always said haitch...until a few years into my teaching career. I was mortified when I found out as I am a grammar and spelling Nazi and Literacy is my favourite subject! It most definitely is aitch, but I find the vast majority of kids I taught had been taught haitch. Phonics programs are written and read, rather than heard, so lots of teachers are now teaching it incorrectly. Most of us (including your children's teachers) went through school using a 'whole language' approach to Literacy, where nothing was explicitly taught.

Moreover, H doesn't say 'hah', it says 'hhhh' like you're trying to fog up a mirror. It's an unvoiced sound, if that makes sense. I could go on...

I have a vague feeling that a long time ago Protestants tended to say aitch and Catholics said haitch. I think it had something to do with what was taught by most teachers in the Catholic school system.

Has anyone else heard of this? Or did I dream it lol?

Quote Originally Posted by JLeigh29 View Post

Moreover, H doesn't say 'hah', it says 'hhhh' like you're trying to fog up a mirror. It's an unvoiced sound, if that makes sense. I could go on...
    So to me the unvoiced 'hhhh' sound means you say 'haitch' doesn't it? How do you say 'hhhh' and have it end up as 'aitch'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast