Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you eat dinner?

Default Re: How do you eat dinner?

Always at the dining table for dinner. Kitchen bench for breakfast. Usually on the lounge for lunch

We're an at-the-table family too. I have read lots of research into being together at meal times which has inspired me to insist on meals at the dining table. Or the outdoors table. Occasionally we have a picnic on a rug outside, or if weather is inclement, it's on a rug inside watching a movie sometimes. Snacks can be a mixture of on-the-go foods, at the table, or outside eating. We generally don't eat in front of the tv at all, or else where in the house, unless it's a special movie night, or someone is sick in bed.
    Growing up my family very rarely ate together. I always felt lonely, and used to make an effort, even then to eat dinner at the table. Otherwise I was alone in front of the tv. I don't have many memories of being wit my whole family at mealtimes at all. I wish that were different. Now I realise it is likely because we have great conversations at the table. We catch up and plan and laugh. It's bonding time, and when I was young, I missed that. I want my kids to have fond memories of mealtimes and home and food.

Just because no one has responded yet with it...

With a knife and fork, sometimes a spoon, and on occasion with my hands.

Never been good with chopsticks.

At the moment DS has his dinner at the time DH gets home from work so he has it in his high chair and then DH and I have dinner later once he is in bed. We eat it on the couch watching telly like we always have but we are aware we need to change our behaviour and start eating at the table once DS gets a bit older and we start eating at the same time. Growing up we always ate dinner in front if the tv so sitting at the table every night is not something I'm used to.

We were like Em when DS1 was little, he always ate early, so DH and I would eat later in front of the TV, but now that both boys are old enough to eat at 6, I'm quite passionate about dinner being at the dining table all together.

Growing up my parents had their own business and always worked 14 hour days so we very very rarely sat around the table to eat dinner together and I really envied other kids who got to do that. Having said that, we all worked in the family business so we still spent a lot of time together, and have a great relationship.

We have always eaten together at the table. We have both been raised that way and so even before kids we ate breakfast and dinner together. It's the best time to chat and bond for us.

Apart from bonding as a family I also find it good training for the kids with table manners and behaviour. I know that dd1 eats her food cleanly and respectfully, can have a dinner conversation and enjoys being with us. If we go out she is the same which makes things easier too.

I would love to be able to say we all ate our meals at the same time around a table. But the reality of our life at the moment is that DH doesn't get home til 6pm (having ridden his bike for 30 minutes, all hot and sweaty, doesn't feel like eating) and 6pm is the very latest the kids can stretch to having dinner at (bed is quite early here too, 6:30-7pm). So family dinners on weeknights aren't really pleasant for anyone!

How do all you others manage family dinners? Am I missing something?

I always thought the same - how do people eat dinner together when kids need to go to bed.

For us - DS1 is in bed at 7, and DS2 at 6:30, so dinner happens at 6. The only way that's possible is because my husband is the CEO of his workplace so he has the flexibility to get into the office at 6am and leave at 5pm. We then eat dinner, put the kids to bed, and most nights he does some more work. He's also a footy coach, so 2 nights a week he's home late and it's just me and the kiddies at the table.

Maybe you could have dinner at 6:15? That way he can have a shower as soon as he gets home and then eat? It's really just about making it part of your routine.

We are lucky that dh finishes his 8hr day at 2pm, anything after that is overtime, which he does regularly so averages getting home at 330ish (30min drive home) so we can take our time and have tea whenever we want. Spock goes to bed 730 to 8ish too, so late compared yo most.
    I guess you just do what works for you

The way I see it - it isn't actually about the eating - it is about all sitting round together with no TV on - this is what I think is the crucial part (and I suspect if a study compared people who sat round for half an hour every evening playing dominoes with people who sat at a table and ate a meal they would find no significant difference in the their relationships etc.). So I sympathize with your DH, sometimes I get in at 18:00 and I don't want to eat at that point - but the kids go to bed at 19:00, so what we do is we sit at the table while they eat (sometimes DH and I do eat but often we don't and just have a cup of tea, or just one of us eats), often sitting at the table with them and not eating is actually more difficult (because it seems tempting to use that time to do something else - e.g. make the lunches) but we try not to do that - because we see the sitting round all together as important. I am sure as kids bedtimes get later it becomes easier (although neither DH or I are a fan of eating main meal in the evening) but personally I don't think feeding kids too close to bedtime is a good thing (from a tiredness and full stomach perspective) and I think the benefits of 'family dinners' can be obtained without all having to eat - you just have to factor in time at some point to just sit round and chat. It doesn't have to be both parents, my personal view is the thing to avoid is having kids dinner time with no adult sat down at the table and sometimes that is an easy trap to fall into as if one partner is out the other gives the kids food and then rushes about doing other stuff while the kids eat it - but it is the 'downtime' bit of eating that is the important bit.

We do a mixture of everything. We sway between sitting at the dining table and sitting japanese style around the coffee table we always eat together. And we always converse over a meal. DS like to play "roses and thorns" over dinner which is a game where you talk about all your bad and good things of the day and see if you can turn your thorns into roses I can't remember how it came to be. But he loves it. He even makes guests play lol.

We do a similar thing, but we don't call it that.

We also play "the talking game" - which is the Key Jar. Google it - there's free printables, to make your own. It's very awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12