Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outing Another's Pregnancy on Facebook

Thumbs down Outing Another's Pregnancy on Facebook

I think we all agree that it's wrong to mention someone else's pregnancy on facebook if they themselves hasn't. This is something that has happened to a few of my friends/colleagues.

Today I logged on to see a Colleague1 write something along the lines of
    "Can I say congratulations yet? I am guessing by now yes. So big congratulations and all the best!"
    on Colleague2's wall.

I was tempted to leave a comment like
    "Maybe if you're not sure you could send a Private Message instead?"
    but I've decided to ignore it and just leave it to Colleague2 to deal with.

I feel sorry for Colleague2 if she isn't quite ready to tell the facebook world yet or if she is no longer pregnant.

Has anyone outed your pregnancy/exciting-secret-you're-not-ready-to-share-yet on facebook?

It happened to another friend of mine when she got engaged, too.

I know now that I when my time comes I will explicitly state "please keep it off facebook until WE are ready!"

This recently happened to friend of mine, but she was away and couldn't delete it or anything! I felt sorry for her as she was only 5 weeks but now everyone knows.

It also frustrates me when people announce your birth on FB before you've had a chance to break the news yourself - happened to me! Next time I'm turning my wall off

oh I think that would be horrible
    there are some things that should just go with out saying

i have had that every pregnancy ive ever had and lets just say now i dont tell anyone till im ready to tell everyone..

I actually find this quiet rude... The fact that someone can do something like that without even bothering to pick up the phone or even waiting till they see someone face to face annoys the crap out of me...
    Not just pregnancies but anything that is such a big decision and joyous occaision should not be someone elses news to advertise...

it infuriates me but to be completely honest if I hadn't have struggled with so much m/c's I might not have given something like that a second thought and done it myself.

but yes very very rude.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by CheezelMonster View Post
    Next time I'm turning my wall off
    how do u do that? i can see i will have this exact drama

Not on facebook but my brother told my father and stepmother. When I asked him about it he said 'no-one told me not to tell them" well don't you think that since you found out from someone else (ie. Mum) you might at least wait until you heard it from me?

Quote Originally Posted by CheezelMonster View Post

It also frustrates me when people announce your birth on FB before you've had a chance to break the news yourself - happened to me! Next time I'm turning my wall off
    I saw this happen very recently and a friend of the new mother gave them a huge talking to. It is so rude.

I had it happen to me when DD3 was born... by the one friend who insisted noone was to put anything on fb about her baby after the birth.

I've had a few people disappear from FB (deactivating their page) until they are ready to tell people. It happens so often now that I kind of figure it is happening before they come out at 12 weeks.

I have accidently posted something on someones wall It was even someone here on BB
    Lucky she must have been online and saw it quickly to delete it. I honestly wasnt thinking at all - she was into her 2nd tri and was 'out' on BB but not FB yet.
    I didnt actually post a congrats on the baby kinda post but something pregnancy related which still would have told people she was pregnant if they didnt already know. Sorry again PB if you're reading this xxx

I had someone out the sex of my baby on my FB page. My best friend didn't want to know so I repeatedly told people not to mention the sex...... yup, someone mentioned the sex. UGH!

i had the chick at Target layby announce my pregnancy to my MUM! yes, i'd told mum, but ffs! i was 8 weeks and layby'd some stuff - the chick there is a friend of a friend, someone that knows mum and I but only just. DH picked up the layby from there, and a few days later, mum had to put a layby on - and she announced to mum about my pregnancy (in front of my intellectually disabled aunt - that didn't know!) - i was furious (so was mum - a very nasty letter went to the store over that one!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kylz View Post
    how do u do that? i can see i will have this exact drama
    If you go into your Privacy settings, there is a tick box for allowing friends to post on your wall. If you untick it, no one can write on your wall! That should be enough but if not there are probably other things that can be fiddled with! Check out the customise settings options in the Privacy section

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Yep annoys crap out of me!!

My SIL posted on my fb wall before I had a chance too was not happy and DH did not understand why!!!! GRR

I also had someone at work tell people I was preg with DS1 befre I had made it public!

Oh this has recently happened to a friend of mine too!

After several mc's, they were waiting until 12 weeks to make their current pregnancy known, and someone went to her MIL's page and posted congrats, when they hadn't told their family yet, just a couple of friends to "set the info free" (to stop them exploding with the joy!).

They had wanted to save their family from any possible heartache....THEN after that blew up and there were several arguements about who spilled the beans...now, at 18 weeks, someone has just spilled the beans publically about the gender!

Its just not fair!!!

not about our pregnancy but about the birth of DS. My DP had only told my mum, who rang my brother to let him know. I was unconcious and bub was in NICU, but before I had bub I had told mum to make sure SIL didnt announce it on FB (she had been writing not so nice comments on fb the whole pregnancy) until I had the chance to ring my father. Ofcourse SIL did anyway, and posted "sorry to hear you failed to have a normal birth, hope bub is ok in the end" that was the message! which caused a masssive family fight, friends were upset, I was still out of it for 2 days after bub was born so poor DP was trying to deal with it all.

needless to say she was deleted and now I'm blocking my wall until I have told people this time around.

I think it is so rude!!
    I have been fortunate enough not to have this happen but I think I would be slightly upset if it did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast