Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you have replaced it?

Yes, I think you've done the right thing. If I was the student and you hadn't replaced it, I would have been very upset - especially as it would mean that she wouldn't have been able to take any photos during her trip.

I'm with all the others, I would have done exactly the same thing.

Yes from our student and the Japanese coordinator I understand that it would be a cultural thing but the coordinator of the program here in Australia is Australian (not Japanese at all) and he was the one who was insisting more that I didn't have to do it, apologising to me and blaming her. I think that is why I was so surprised
    Thank you for all your responses they are reassuring

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    cultural differences aside - if you felt responsible for the actions of your child, then you act on it. it's not about what is expected of you by the person - it's what you expect of yourself. well, that's how i feel anyway!
    Absolutely! Well said and I agree...which is why I did not hesitate to replace it.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I would have the same thing and replaced it, if my child broke something its my responsibility to repair or replace.

I too would have done the exact same thing.

i would have replaced it too, if fact i did when my DS did exactly the same thing with my mums camera

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

DD broke my friends ray bans at the weekend, i will replce them....when i have the funds! i think its the right thing to do!

I would have replaced it too.

Thumbs up

I think what you did was definately the right thing. I would have done exactly the same and replaced it.

It is good karma I think....

I would have replaced it as well

Did you ask if she have some kind of insurance that would have covered it - some kind of extra on her travel insurance perhaps? Might sound strange in Australia but we have an insurance that will cover (mostly) anything that DS breaks that belongs to other people. For example, we recently used it because FIL's glasses had fallen to the ground accidently after some rough play (so, really it was FIL's fault but the claim was approved).
    It covers us too, so DH used it when he broke a friend's tail light by throwing a snowball.

Anyway, insurance aside, I would have replaced it too. Other people have already said this, but I completely agree with doing what you expect of yourself.
    Last edited by Kaydee; March 31st, 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    Yeah I would've replaced it, don't worry hun you did the right thing!
    i agree

i would just educate your exchange visitor about keeping valuables out of the reach of young kids, so it doesn't keep happening. but yeh, i would feel the same way as you.

Yep, agree, its the right thing to do, until our little ones are old enough to take responsibility for their actions, we as parents need to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12