Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you be alone?

Default Can you be alone?

Or do you like been alone?

As some would know by now, DH oes away for a month at a time three times a year. I am constantly asked how I manage. My response 'It is my holiday too when he goes away, I like the time to myself'.

As much as I love DH, I need time to myself so it works well for me that he goes away (check with me next April when I am 36wk pregnant and he is away, might be different).

Of course I have my girls with me but I love been the only adult, I love when they go to bed I don't have to worry about anyone, I love having the bed to myself and there is no snoring.

I don't get scared and trust me there have been some freaky things happen in this house. I can happily walk around my home at night and not need lights on. I get to watch the scary movies DH hates too.

Best of all I get to really look forward to DH coming home. As much as I love him going away, I do love him and I could not imagine life without him.

So can you be alone, do you like it

I love my alone time. I get every second weekend and each other Monday without my kids and I currently don't have a live in partner

It makes me a much better parent.

Absolutely, I love it!

Yes! I prefer it. I don't have to think for him. "Find" things that are right in front if his face, worry about what he likes to eat, etc. Sounds selfish but it's nice to have a break from the irritating things he does.
    Dont get me wrong, I love him, but geez he ****s me too. Lol

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Another one who loves it!

I love it. DH is away this week, another country. I get the big bed all to myself! I get to eat what I want, when I want. And pick what's on the TV. And the time I go to bed. And if I can have on the light and read when I do get into bed.

Ooooh, even better - I can have 2 hours in the bath once Liebs is in bed and not be disturbed.

When Liebs was a baby I disliked DH being away weekends too - now I love it as Liebs and I get to stay up late and sleep together after a film marathon in bed and sleep in. Bliss. I also am looking forward to DH and Liebs going off for the weekend together. House fully to myself! Bring it on.

my dh works a rotating roster so he does day and night shifts. i LOVE the nightshifts. i can get the kids to bed and then my time is my own. if i want to watch crap vtv i can. if i want to be on the net till midnight i can. but i lke being alone and i do a lot of things on my own. i even go away for weekends on my own too. i love my family dearly but i love the alone time too. helps recharge the batteries

I'm in two minds. I love the tv freedom and the bed to myself with no snoring. Sometimes I even think I work better with the kids when it's just me - we have our routines, yanno? They know what to expect. When dad's around, things change. Get what I mean?

I'm not ungrateful for DH and his assistance - I love weekends when he is around. But during the week, we work it out. We have our routines.

Anyway, I love those things but I do get freaked out by the noises of the house at night. I find night feeds quite lonely and DH is on the other side of the bed, lol!

I love it. If DH is home for longer than a week I get antsy about my routines being disturbed.

I read once that Charlie Brown (the designer) bought her partner a house in her street so they could live close to each other but not with each other. Sometimes I wonder if I should aim for a living arrangement like that. As much as I love DH I also love my space.

Unfortunately DH doesn't love it. He craves companionship so he keeps trying to make me move so we will live together full time.

My DH lives away permanently. Has done for near on 2 years. I am perfectly happy on my own. Like you Kazzo I love that after bedtime time. I love the peace and quiet. I manage just fine on my own even pregnant/with 3.
    I have also started on weekends away on my own (don't worry we are great when we are together and we holiday when we can). DH has also learnt to be more independent instead of dependent on me for everything.

I'd love a boyfriend who lived next door. Awesome idea.

Another who loves it when DH is on night shift. He has had a month on leave, and I am hanging for a night to myself.

Yup. I used to count down until he went away each month. It took me a long time to adjust when he got out the ADF.

Ok this is going to sound really weird.

I can't be away from my DH for long periods. However if I wasn't with DH I know I would enjoy being alone. It's not alone that's the problem. Does that make sense?

I have the same thing with my closest friends. I miss them like crazy. But I still enjoy my own company.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

^^ what Rouge said
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Similar to Rouge. I really love to be around DH, I miss him a lot when he's not around. I love my own space and alone time, but I love spending time with him more.

Interesting - I think if I weren't with DH then I'd need MORE alone time. He prefers less alone time than I do - when he's away, he's with people (work or play).

But just the joy of being alone can't be overcome with a great man. Or even a great woman. I like my "me" space more than I need people!

I so miss my alone time. I never get any. But at the same time, I hate it when DH is away. It doesn't happen much - one or two weekends a year. But hten I have the kids. Now on the odd occasion I get alone time, I don't know what to do with myself. I can think of a million things when all the people get too much for me but once they are gone, I'm lost. But I totally miss my alone time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast