Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Photos - clothes in theme or not?

Question Family Photos - clothes in theme or not?

We (DH, DD, DS and I) are having a family photo done as part of a kinder fundraiser. Trying to decide on what to wear. Do you do the theme thing (similar clothes) or just wear 'good' clothes? I have seen some with everyone in denim and white t shirts that looked good, but not sure if we can pull it off or will just look ****y.

what have you done?

I've only had my three kids done, not the whole family, and I worked on a theme of red, navy and white. They look great!

Default Family Photos - clothes in theme or not?

I would dress similar but definitely not matching using complimenting colour tones, which I'd limit to four colours at the most. I also think bare feet are the way to go, shoes can stand out too much in a photo.

I also think your colours are best to reflect the decor in your home. If you have reds and blacks in your lounge room and that's where your hanging the print then dress in red and blacks.

I think similar tones that complement each other look good but I don't like the whole denim/white tee thing No offence to people who have done it, in the past things we have done that worked well was DS in a blue/white check shirt with a bit of yellow, DD in a yellow and white dress, DH in a blue shirt and me in a black and white - sound sort of weird but it all worked somehow!

Our photographer said to keep something similar on each and don't wear anything with numbers or letters on it. We had all of our boys in different shades and styles of denim shorts and some with white singlets (these looked great in black and white and she had them all sit on a fluffy white rug), some with different colored singlets (red, black, blue, etc) and some with no shirt. All had no shoes too. I have seen some great ones with the kids dressed in costumes for something cute? Good luck - family photos are so stressful!

I always like the 4 coordinated colours, it allows for more individuality and isn't so matchy matchy

Subbing for ideas - we are doing our first family photo in a week and we've got no idea what to wear

If you are on Pinterest I just remembered I searched what to wear family photo shoot! Heaps of ideas come up!

No offense intended, this is just how I feel - I loathe the matchy matchy stepford family look. I much prefer all the family members to wear their favourite outfit, which best represents their own unique personality.

Have had quite a few family photo shoots, fundraisers and various other's. We dress as we like...no theme.

It's a personal choice, no choice is wrong as long as you are happy with the end result

black and denim or white and denim (better for kids). We have very expensive family portraits where everyone is wearing similar neutral colours EXCEPT one person who has a bright blue VEST on... not a good look!

Today's matched clothing equals tomorrow's Awkward Family Photos subject matter

I think just choose some cute clothes that reflect the kids & you guys. DD would look gorgeous in a bright outfit with plenty of pockets

I saw the thread title and thought "yes. Please do wear clothes as part of your theme"

We had some done recently and I didn't think too hard about it really, beyond wearing something nice. DD was in a yellow, white and orange dress with grey leggings, DS1 wore a blue and red checked shirt with tan shorts, DS2 a blue and white shirt and blue shorts, me a purple shirt and jeans, DH a red and white checked shirt and jeans. So alllll different. I think it looks fine.

Should I have thought about it more maybe??? Too late now And they look fine.

From a photographers perspective - not matchy but similar colours with minimal logos, numbers or patterns.
    Grey not so good either, as can wash out skin tones unless you are doing b&w.
    Blues tend to be a good colour for all unless you got little girls then tends to be more aqua, mint etc.
    Enjoy your session and try not to over think it!! That's the photographers job!

I always pick a colour or 2 and try to put everyone in that. Definitely not identical clothes. My kids had some gorgeous pics done at an old abandoned shack and they were dressed in beige, cream and black. The results were gorgeous.
    You can find a pic of my girls here - http://mixedlollies.weebly.com

When we did ours I dressed the girls in jeans and then a tshirt that suited them so DD1 was in a sky blue shirt and DD2 in a strong pink (DD3 wasn't here yet). I wore more like an aqua blue and DH wore red. I think wearing colours that compliment the person's own colouring is better than putting everyone in something that matches, but that might not suit them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast