Thread: A question of time

Default A question of time

Just wondering how others "time" things, like school runs, kinder runs, drives to the shop etc

I like to time things from door to door, basically how long do I need to get there on time. So for me, the kinder run takes 15 minutes - get in the car, back out of the drive way, drive to the main road, to kinder, then park, get the kids out and walk in the door. DH does not believe me that it takes that long, he has it in his head that is only 5 minutes, the drive along the main road itself is rarely 5 minutes. I know it takes 15, as the round trip takes 30, I have timed it on many occasions.

I know I do bend time myself. We just live out of town, 10 minutes to the first main intersection, 12 to the main shopping centre. In reality though, going to the shopping centre takes 15-20, but when I come across locals who carry on about how far we live from town I do down play the time and go "Oh, but we are only 12 minutes from the shopping centre".

So how do you time trips? Is it door to door, the time along the main road or something else?

(I have been prompted to ask this as DH just called me about a property "just 5 minutes further out than what we live". I looked it up and it is atleast 30 minutes up the road from where we are I can never trust him with time estimations)

I time from door to door...because to drive from home to the shops might only take about 5 minutes but just getting the kids in the car takes 5 minutes here then at the shops at least 5 minutes to get them, the pram and everything else out the car.
    im only just starting to learn that to be some where on time I have to allow time for getting organised not just travel time

I suffer from your DH's mindset and constantly estimate short - there's a mysterious 10 minutes in there somewhere that occurs sometime after I think "time to go" and pick up my handbag and when I'm actually in the car driving up the road.

Doesn't help that we live muuuuuch further out than all our friends and family and so constantly have to leave eons before anyone else to arrive at the same time. The only way I can make it work is by guestimating how long it will take and then adding 15 minutes, and then I'm usually about right.

I have to stop adding 15 minutes. I am chronically early since living down here, but back in Melbourne, adding 15 minutes as essential as the traffic there was so unpredictable along with roadworks.

I time from how long I think it's going to take to get them out the door to the next door
    I am juggling a 5mth old, stubborn 3yr old (bribing helps) and go with the flow 1st Grader (thank goodness!)
    Next year is going to be a huge test as I will be doing a Kinder drop off at 8:15am then onto school drop off.
    It must work as I am always on time sometimes early. My GF and I quite often have a light hearted joke about another GF who has 1 child and is never on time
    Astrid your DH sounds like a country boy...5mins down the road in the country is usually at least 30mins