Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you get you daughters ears pierced?

My 3yo daughter has been asking for months now to get hers done, but I am trying to distract her a bit longer and will probably take her to get them pierced when she is 5 (maybe as a reward if she has a big accomplishment at school, for example). I just think if she gets them done now she will fiddle with them and they will get infected.

I had mine done at 3 years old and I remembered so I didn't want DD to remember. She had hers done at 6 months and they've been perfect.

mum did mine at 1 year old, my niece was 6 months old, cried for about 2 minutes until we got her an icecream lol..
    ill be getting my little girls done as soon as possible, maybe 3-6 months old.. at least they wont remember the pain!

Ive been wanting to get DD's ears peirced for ages!! I wanted to do them real young but my mum talked me out of it.
    DD is coming up to 4 now and has been asking about them and is keen to have earings like her mummy, so I am thinking that we will get them done on her 4th birthday.

I think I had mine pierced when I was 5..

My DD1 had hers done when she was 4 1/2, old enough to ask and understand that they are permanent, we will do the same with our DD2

I don't have my own ears pierced and never have. I will allow DD the choice to when she is old enough to understand the entire concept and look after them. Just because they don't remember the pain, doesnt mean it didn't happen.

I'm another that believes in doing it when the child asks and is old enough to look after them. DD had hers done when she was 7, to my disgust X-MIL had them done at the hairdresser with a gun when I was planning to take her to a proper piercer, and sure enough they got infected for a couple of weeks. She eventually let them close up and doesn't have them anymore. I'll think about it if she asks again but she'll get them done properly or not at all.

I had mine done the first time at 5, let them close up and then again after I left school - the private school I went to didn't allow earrings at school. Which is an entire other can of worms worth thinking about in relation to this discussion

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i had mine done as a teenager and they were fine for about six years, then it went wrong. 20 years later, i still get stuff coming out of the holes. i haven't been able to wear earrings for the last 20 years, (and i had a fantastic earring collection too), so i feel ripped off.

My DD is 4.5, without earrings, has never asked for them, it's never occurred to me to get them done on her (apart from reading about change in ear lobes, when having it done on babies e.g the hole may not be symetrical by the time they are grown up). She uses play jewerelly and has enough trouble looking after / not losing that. The amount of kerfuffle we have already, about "what's she's going to wear", i don't want to add to that, with earrings as well.

i remember when i first put her in childcare (at 17 months) and it occurred to me, we don't let babies have things smaller than what can fit into a film cannister (choking hazard), yet there are multiple children with earrings in (in the childcare baby room), and their earrings are smaller than a film cannister, and are metal. I wondered if babies in childcare, who are at that age of grabbing and MINE MINE and liking sparkly things - ever came to grief, involving earrings. Prolly just me thinking over cautiously. Can't help it, i only have one and i'm lucky to have her at all.

i wore earrings for years, sometimes the little butterfly backs come off when you didn't realise they did.

Guess i'll find out when she starts school (all the peer pressure) what my deal breaker is, on this topic. Right now, i'm leaning towards the "coming of age" e.g a way to celebrate her first menstruation.

I had a similar problem with my ear piercings, Gigi - the first ones I got pierced as a baby healed up with no problems whatsoever, then I got second and third holes pierced in my earlobes in my teen years and they never 'settled' properly, and developed cysts - in my late teens I had 3 cysts removed from the piercing sites and to this day I have a cyst in the third hole in my right earlobe that flares up every few months and starts oozing and gets inflamed and very painful

DD1 had just started daycare when she got her ears pierced and luckily she's never had an issue with them being pulled or fiddled with by other kids - I'll admit I'd never even thought of it! We might just be lucky

I personally have always only ever used Studex brand earrings for DD1 and myself, they're allergen-free (some earrings contain metals that react badly with some people's skin and can cause irritation and infection) and the stud styles have notched posts so the butterfly backs 'snap' into place and are practically impossible to get off. DD1 has only lost one earring yet and it was when she yanked a tight shirt over her head and got the earring caught in the collar I'd never use any other brand on small kids personally, just because the backs coming off is a concern for me, as well as the irritation risk (I can't wear earrings from jewellers because they hurt after a couple of hours).

Totally understand your feelings and each to their own - you raised some very good points and just thought I'd offer my own perspective on those for the benefit of others who are considering getting their little ones' ears pierced

I wont let DD1 get hers done till she is much older. She wont even brush her hair properly and carries on when we do, so I can just imagine what would happen if she got her ears pierced. To me it is something that I prefer her to be of an age where she can make the decision and deal with the outcome. I am thinking 10th birthday at this stage.

I got my first set at 6 (I think) and my second set at 16, and then another hole at 18. All were birthday presents. Well, the second set where a present to myself. :-) Nana actually bought me the third piercing, lol. :-) Planning to get another peircing/set in a few months,
    As with DD, not until she's at least in school.

Isla is 4 & half & has asked for earrings like her cousin But I am not getting them done yet. Simply told her no she is too little. I was looking for the little magnet studs you could get a while ago but I can't find them now.

My oldest son however has shown interest in having his ear pierced. But he is only 8 & half....

Have a look on ebay for 'magnet earings', they have quite a few listings for them. I have just bought some for DD, she will be so pleased and this will hopefully be enough to stop her asking for the real thing until she is a bit older.

DD didnt get them done until she was eight (even then I was reluctant!!). She was satisfied with the stick-on ones you get from $2 shops. She thought she was tres glamourous wearing them and didnt even seem to mind they stayed on 30 mins max!!

Sorry, I know lots disagree, but I don't like earrings on young children.

I have no issue with anyone else getting their kids ears pierced at whatever age suits them, but my girls wont get it done before about grade 5 i reckon, regardless of when they ask. If they don't ask i wont go get it done though.

Lol my thread got NASTY last time, mods even had to remove comments so i am glad to see so far yours has stayed on track.

DP and i ended up agreeing we would wait until the girls were old enough to ask, but that if DD1 got hers done we would prob be best to get DD2's done at the same time.
    Well DD1 has been asking for a couple of months now and still no ear piercings DP keeps putting it off.
    We have explained to DD1 that it will hurt and she says she still wants them, might wait til DP is back at work and se if he agrees and i'll take her to get them done.

I might look into those magnet earrings but how easily do they come off, what if she pulls them off and DD2 tries to eat them?

My 4yr old has never asked. I'll let her have them done when she really really wants them done not the first time she asks. Hopefully it will be many years away. She has bad eczema especially behind her ears which I think will cause an even bigger problem when her ears are pierced. Despite this I don't think its fair on her to say no all together. It will also be for a special occassion like an achievement or birthday.

My eldest DD was the same. She wanted her ears pierced but it wasn't until she started Kindergarten when almost all the kids had their ears pieced (I was helping out at the school and I think DD was one of only 3girls in almost 50 without her ears pierced) She got them the day before her 6th Birthday and was fine having them done. I told her she wasn't allowed to cry and she smiled when they did both bless her. She was so happy to have them done and couldn't stop looking in the mirror afterwards. She said it only hurt a tiny bit.

My mum was horrified I had them done for her at 6 until she saw them and agreed they looked very nice. I was 10 when I had mine and my mum thought I was way to young then. DD has never had an infection although if she leaves them out for a few days they start closing up very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ausgirl View Post
    I really, really dislike earrings on babies. Personally, I think it should be the child's decision when they are old enough to decide for themself.
    Totally agree

I got mine done for my 13th birthday! was so excited all day at school knowing that i was getting my ears pierced after school! it is something i will always remember!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast