Thread: Changing FS after failure of 3 cycles

Default Changing FS after failure of 3 cycles

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Sydney, just arrived last year. I and my husband are of age 33. We are married from 6 years.

As we are having fertility issue, we consulted Dr. Jennel McDonald, Next Generation Fertility center in Sydney. We started our treatment in Oct 2012. Our FS suggested ICSI. My all reports are normal. Our embryo are also of very good quality. We finished our 3 cycles(1 fresh + 2 frozen) without any success. We still have one frozen embryo left, but now I don't want to continue with this clinic as I am not happy with their treatment. After failure of each cycle, they don't have any clue about the failure.

Now, I and my DH decided to consult Webstmead IVF center and we book the appointment with Dr. Harward Smith. We got the letter from Dr. Smith's clinic and they have suggested to get the copy of all blood test OR undergo some basic blood test prior to his consultation. So I was wondering that do I need to go through all the blood test again?? It would be helpful if anyone can provide me answers for following questions:

1. Can I get my reports from my previous FS(Dr. Jennel McDonald, Next Generation Fertility center)? Can I ask them to provide my reports so that I can consult another FS?
    2. Can I ask my previous FS to give my frozen embryo back to me and I can start the frozen cycle of that embryo with Dr. Smith?

Your answers/opinion on above questions would be highly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Nixy

Sure you can ask. I changed clinics and got a copy of all my records to take to the other. They may charge you for the privilege though. Good luck!

Thanks Dusty for your quick reply!

Can I just ask receptionist at the clinic OR do I need to meet the doctor and ask for my reports for 2nd opinion? Can I also ask for my frozen embryo?
    Also, how much they charge approximately? Can I get it back under Medicare?

Thanks,
    Nixy

I'd meet with your new dr first as he may want to do new tests anyway (some just do!). Then if you are happy with him and want to move clinics for sure, then just request your nurse or receptionist to make a copy of any tests and results you had taken with them. If you ask nicely they may not charge you, but they may. Not sure if it would be Medicare claimable though as it will be an admin fee.

And absolutely you can move your embryo if you new clinic agree to transfer it. There would be charges with respect to this and I would ask if there are Medicare Item numbers for the fee so you can see if you can get any funds back. I've no idea how much they would charge.

I also wanted to mention that it used to be (back when I did IVF from 2007-2010) that the average number of cycles it took to fall pregnant through assisted conception was about 7. Not sure if the odds have improved over the last few years though with improved technology. Sometimes persistence and multiple transfers is the only thing that pays off.

I'd ask for a copy of your file from the old FS first. He may be interested to look through it while you talk. Or you could arrange for it to arrive there before your appt so he can review it beforehand.

We changed to a new FS after 4 (fresh) cycles (our first FS referred us to the second one and arranged for our file to be forwarded) and we have just changed again this year (second FS doesn't know we've changed to the third). Because we've stayed in the same clinic it's a bit easier for us - they can all access all of our results from the clinic's lab.