thread: =[ Apparently I'm too fat to have a baby

Jun 2012
    Brisbane

=[ Apparently I'm too fat to have a baby

Went to the gyno today and got told I have PCOS and apprently he can't help me with clomid because I'm too fat ='[ I'm crushed I do everything I can to loose weight an it doesn't work =[

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

Obesity can be an issue when TTC. But even losing 5-10% of your body weight can help.

Did he say how much he thinks you should lose?

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

bah humbug

I lost 13kgs before I went to a FS.

He was a horrid FS and told me that as well. Said he wouldn't help until I lost weight. Despite already losing 13kgs! (would have been alright, if he wasn't so mean about it!)

3 weeks later, I fell pregnant! so UP YOURS you rude meaniebutt.

Saying that, I agree with N2L, weight can be a factor in not falling pregnant.

Try another FS. With my 2nd I went to a public hospital to see a FS and he put me straight onto clomid, and didn't even mention my weight thing!

Fat chicks can have kids too! I'm proof of that

Good luck xx

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

FS are not meant to treat anyone with a BMI over 35. It is a guideline put down by their professional association.

That said, some do (mine included) but they risk being censured for it.

And, dont take this the wrong way, but there's "fat" and then there's "fat". My BMI is about 39 so I am considered morbidly obese. I have no doubt it hampers my ability to get pregnant. But someone else who says they are "fat" and are maybe 10-15 kilos overweight, it may not play such a big role in their fertility.

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

FS are not meant to treat anyone with a BMI over 35. It is a guideline put down by their professional association.

Seriously? Wow, I did not know that!

Oh, then double yay for the FS at the hospital! cause let me tell ya, my BMI hasn't been anywhere near 35 in a long....long....lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time

Mine is 40 I think from memory. So morbidly obese

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

wow.... I hadn't heard that..... my FS hasn't even mentioned it, apart from saying good job when I say I've lost weight.... he put me on clomid before I even talked about my weight with me....

I guess there is only a little obese and a LOT obese..... and my BMI is still under 40 ATM..... but still, he obviously didn't say it in a way that was sensitive and thoughtful

I agree with the others, go somewhere else..... but of course losing weight is always good - we just know it's not that easy!!!

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

There are some IVF clinics who refuse to talk to you (apart from really preliminary discussions) unless you get under 35.

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

There are some IVF clinics who refuse to talk to you (apart from really preliminary discussions) unless you get under 35.
    I guess I can understand why, but it's still yuck

isn't BMI and issue in hospitals too, when we finally get UTD, we will have trouble finding a place that will actually let you birth there??

I seriously need to lose weight

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

I have heard lots of stories about that. I think most smaller hospitals and birthing centres have a BMI cutoff.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add sushee on Facebook

Sep 2004
    Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My FS was among the few at my clinic who would treat you regardless of your weight. When I made my first call there, they told me which FSs to get in touch with, and which to avoid because they wouldn't even SEE me if my BMI was over 35 . My BMI at that time was around 40 and my FS told me that because I'd fallen pg naturally previously while overweight, and my main fertility issue was blocked tubes, he didn't consider my weight a factor.

See, I like that. I'd rather they accessed you and decided if in fact your weight is a factor. If it is, then like any other treatment, you should be pointed in the right direction to assist you in improving your fertility.

Mind you, I didn't believe that weight was not a factor for me after several failed IVF cycles, so I went on a diet, lost 6kgs in a month, and had my first anovulatory cycle in the whole time I was being monitored. So I stopped dieting and went back to having regular cycles!

In my case, I'm glad a blanket ban on overweight women didn't apply.

I personally don't see what the harm is in trying you with clomid btw. I personally would be looking for another dr, while trying to lose weight at the same time.

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

totally agree with sushee....

Jan 2011
    ~~Off With The Fairies~~

yep, agree with Sushee as well

May 2012
    Where faith conquers fear

Don't quote me but from my research I believe treating pcos with weight loss only is a very old fashioned approach. These days a good FS will take a holistic approach, including diet, possibly meds and including weight loss, which sometimes need only be modest to make a real difference. Best of luck, don't be discouraged!

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

My journey was fairly closee to sushees. I had previously fallen pg without AC assistance, so even though I am considered obsese (don't know my BMI) it was a non-issue. I did lose 15 kgs before commencing IVF and I believe it helped. My FS wanted me to lose at least 5% of my bodyweight, which I did.

I know when I was diagnosed with PCO my GP gave me a script for Metformin and told me to follow a low GI diet & exercise everyday. I didn't stick with the Metformin but I did with the diet & exercise. Apart from me losing weight, it gave me something else to focus on & also made me feel really good.

Please don't be discouraged, I know it can be a slap in the face. Perhaps consider a second opinion as well as trying to lose excess weight. Best of luck

Jan 2011

When I went to a fs and he recommended clomid I had a bmi of 22. He still mentioned the fact I need to eat healthy, exercise and keep my weight down because it all contributes to helping your fertility. Did feel a bit strange being told to still monitor my weight when I was classed healthy but I think it's a standard suggestion they give. He even mentioned to me that pcos generally makes it hard to manage weight so it can be a catch 22, but everything counts.

He also said you only get the 6 cycles on clomid to make it work so it's best your body is as good as you can get it. I didn't end up taking the clomid and did it with natural therapies which I was lucky it worked.

Could you try for a month or two on a strict diet/exercise regime (if you're not already) and then see another gyno and try fOr clomid again?

As far as the hospital thing, I know in SA they have bought in that rule. No private hospital will take women over a certain bmi, and not even the wch! Only one up north and one down south!
    Stay positive hun!!! We're all here to support you!
    Last edited by little_O; July 26th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

May 2009
    Brisbane

I have seen two different FS and my BMI has been over 35 the entire time and neither has ever said anything. My BMI was 38 for our successful IVF cycle. It is currently 36. However, I don't have PCO/PCOS and my cycles were exactly the same as they were before I gained weight (32 days and ovulating each cycle). Our difficulties in conceiving are due to my endo, not my weight.

That said, I do have friends who have had difficulty due to excess weight. Sometimes it just isn't possible to induce ovulation, no matter how much medication you use. As mentioned above, even a 10% reduction in weight can have a very positive effect on fertility. I've seen it happen. I have a friend who did weeks of FSH injections and simply didn't produce a mature follicle, so her FS told her to come back after she had lost some weight. She lost some weight (with medical assistance) and they conceived without ever going back to the Dr! Twice!

I have to agree with Sushee - excess weight should be considered on a case-by-case basis. Take the time to investigate the case and try some treatments before saying you can't help someone (rather than "won't" help them).

I know how hard it can be to lose weight. I struggle with it myself. It feels like you're trying everything and giving up so much and getting nowhere. Is it something you could work on in the background while pursuing treatments with a different FS? Could you see a dietician, personal trainer or someone else who will help you?

As far as BMI and pg, I went to a large private hospital in Brisbane and the only restriction I read was that they won't let you use the baths in the birthing suite if your BMI is 35 or higher. I know there are other places that will turn you away though. Funnily enough, I lost weight while pg with DD (thanks to 24/7 nausea and an aversion to sugar in the 1st trimester), so my BMI was (just) below 35 for the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

Jun 2012
    Brisbane

=[ Apparently I'm too fat to have a baby

Thank you guys the gyno said I was obese not morbidly obese but my BMI is 40 but he was also nasty and said that I would be fighting a loosing battle because I would be fighting to loose the weight that my cysts would give me.
    We contacted a natrapath that has had a 85% success rate with people that are bigger girls with PCOS as well =] I refuse to be told that because I'm fat I'm not aloud a child.
    I have been talking to my best friend and she's gonna help me loose weight and she won't let me give up =]

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Good luck chick! Keep trying in the meantime! I went to a Naturopath too and I believe this helped conceive our DD. You really want to give yourself the best chance, not be thinking about what ifs - 'What if I did lose weight?' etc....
    I don't think you would be fighting a losing battle - the FS sounds like an idiot.....