Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Acupunture increases IVF success rates (two studies)

Hi everyone,
    Just to let those of you in Melbourne know, I have decided to extend the offer of free initial consults (Tues only) to those interested in acupuncture. This is a 30 min appt to explain what acu can do for you and what is reqd on an induvidual basis, partners are encouraged/welcome, and you can choose to continue with treatment or not at your convenience!

Hi everyone,

I know this thread is a bit old but I just wanted to put my two cents in. I am ten weeks pregnant today (!!!) after seven IVF transfers and couldn't have done it without acupuncture.

My first IVF cycle they got 10 eggs, 2 embryos. Perfectly normal results according to my FS. I was very disappointed when it didn't work but after a bit of research thought I would give Acu a try with the next cycle. I did it in the lead up to my antagonist cycle and no-one was more surprised than me to discover they managed to get 28 eggs all of great quality which resulted in 16 blastocysts!!!! And after transfer number five (one didn't make the thaw) I still have 10 to go and I am 10 weeks pregnant. Oh did I mention I was 39?

Not only was acupuncture the difference for me in terms of number and quality of eggs but it made a massive difference to my state of mind. With the "acupuncture cycle" I was so relaxed and not anxious about the whole process - even the BFNs - as I "knew" it would work when it was time. I am sure this state of mind contributed to my success.

One of the best bits? My acupuncturist is also a mid-wife and is a font of pregnancy and baby information. Very cool given we are keeping this a secret from everyone and I have no-one to ask questions of apart from the ladies here on BB! It is quite sad that now - apart from a visit for morning sickness and exhaustion - I don't need to see her for quite a few weeks! In reality, she has been my greatest support throughout this whole process. I am not sure I could have done it without her.

Yay for acupuncture! It made all the difference to my success!

cheers
    Lily
    39 DH 37.
    PCOS, one blocked tube
    EDD 20th August 2009

Well done and congrats on the IVF preg I know that I loved the Acc for our IVF journey and the Preg so far

Ah thanks for sharing your stories lilybella and tiggerlinda, the use of acupuncture and herbs to assist IVF has been well researched recently and the studies and clinical trials consistently reflect results such as yours. The more aware ppl are about the assistance Acu can give them, the better off everyone involved in this otherwise often heart wrenching process will be. If any one else has a 1st hand account of IVF optimisation, be it symptomatic relief (physical/emotional), numbers of eggs and pregnancy like lilybella and tiggerlinda (congrats!), they think may be attributable to their acupuncture/herbs treatment, or anything else please post away!
    Last edited by Justin Keane; January 22nd, 2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: sp

Default Perth Acupuncture?

Hi!

Does anyone know of a good place for acupuncture in Perth?

Thanks
    Kristy

Hey krikket,
    google aacma and search for a praccy, will get you someone qualified and covered with the health funds. good luck!

Default another success story

I also used acupuncture during my IVF cycle last year. We managed to fall pregnant on the first IVF cycle even after a relatively crappy cycle in which my hormone levels were too low most of the way, the EPU was delayed to ripen the follicles more, I got 4 eggs, 2 fertilized, only one emby survived and was transferred on day 2 - well that emby was my now 4 month old son. I am not sure if the acupuncture worked but it did help with my coping abilities.

We are about to go back to try for no 2 so will use acupuncture again for sure.

Krikkit - I can recommend Geoff Brothers at Nedlands Natural Health. He is registered with health insurers and is a really lovely guy. And great at his job

Thanks for posting jbub,
    it's another important point you raise, during the bodies response to acupuncture, as well as nourishing and increasing the blood circulation and strengthening and raising the qi at specific times during the cycle (these are some of the primary treatment principles we employ to help increase the success rates), it also assists with minimising the side effects of the strict drug protocol required to do IVF, many patients report easier emotional experiances when using Acupuncture.
    Last edited by Justin Keane; January 31st, 2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: grammer

I will second that Justin. Acupuncture made the whole process much easier to deal with. I did one cycle without acu and then one with and noticed a huge difference. HUGE!

Lilyx

I really agree that accupuncture makes a big difference - it makes me feel a lot calmer and like I am being good to myself and nourishing my body. I think my mood swings are a lot less horrific than they could be

IVF and Accupunture Benfits I found:
    • Calmer
    • Managed my stress levels
    • Balanced my Pulse
    • Pain Managment
    • Helped with Nausea
    • Helped with egg quality
    • Post and Pre transfer support sessions helped with the anxiety
    • As soon as we had a successful cycle the baby spot in my leg reacted very strong it was the first sign of our BFP

We had 6 Stim Cycles 2 without Accupunture and the remaing 4 with the support I felt with it was amazing and the fertlisation results were much better. My DH also underwent treatment not with and IVF focus but he is a transformed sceptic

In my Preg I have used it and it has been a blessing with MS and backpain as well as energy levels. I do belive the accupunture also helped my little girl hang on when we were spotting and lost a blood clot at 10 weeks which I was told was an MC until I went back to the FS for a scan.

Hi Lily, Aleenta and Tiggerlinda,
    Thanks for posting your experiances with Acu, I love to hear how much it helps and who better to recount that than those who've been at the pointy end so to speak! I'm sure horrific is an exaggeration Aleenta, and Tiggerlinda, scares like that are not fun, your girl is obviously loving it in there, congrats and thanks all of you for posting. It's a great help to those all over the country and the world to get it from you guys, I know that not every story is entirely great regarding IVF so anyone with some love to share please dont hesitate to get it out there!

Talking Acupuncture and IVF

Hi all,

if you werent aware Adelaide Univesity did a study showing the benefits of acupuncture and IVF: Acupuncture benefits for IVF fertility

cheers
    Buggirl

Hi All
    Does anyone know of any benefits to men as my DH has premature testicular failure and therefore very poor quality sperm. I am thinking of starting myself and wondered if there would be any benefits for hubby.
    Thanks

Hi,

I also had a question regarding acupuncture although not specific to conception.

I started using acupunture towards the end of my first IVF cycle (lucky for us it only took one) and I couldn't say if it helped with quality, but we ended up with 6 eggs - 5 mature - 4 fertilized - 3 frozen at blasty - 1 transferred. The one transerred is now quite happily kicking me in the ribs as we speak.

The thing is that this cheeky monkey is presenting breech and has been since week 21 (now week 32). The ob keeps telling me there is plenty of time for baby to turn around, but I have my suspicions that baby is very happy in the current position and will not move. I have read that by 33 weeks there is only a 5% chance that the baby will be in the breech position.

Now for my question - does anyone know the success rates of Acupuncture assisting in turning the baby? When Acupunture is used to turn the baby - what is the theory behind it?

I do not want a caesarean, but even more than that I do not want a breech birth vaginally. I figure I can do nothing and hope the baby turns on it's own or I can try some natural remedies to help assist. If it doesn't work - at least I have done all that I am willing to do to assist the baby to turn on it's own.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Nic

PS: baby is in 'frank' breech.

Hi Nixon,

I don't know thesuccess rates as such but the acupuncturist I use (prevously to get me pregnant, now for morning sickness and general wellbeing) is also a midwife and also has great success at turning babies! I am only 17 weeks pregnant so not sure if I need her for that just yet.

Her name is Sue Booth and she practices at Life Source in North Sydney and Qi Yoga in Mona Vale I think. She is wonderful. As a midwife she not only totally "gets" the anxiety or concerns you feel when TTC or pregnant but she is a font of birthing information to boot! I couldn't have done this without her I don't think. I couldn't recommend her highly enough.

I wish you all the very best for the remainder of your pregnancy and hope your cheeky monkey's birth is everything you want it to be!

Lily x

Thanks Lily. I have just confirmed a booking with Rozelle Acupuncture and Chinese Medine. I believe that they are quite involved with conception, infertility, pregnancy support with the use of Acupuncture. So, here is hoping. I'll let you know how I get on. I'll be starting treatment today.

I have also read about turning the baby using point 'bladder 67' and moxa? It is a treatment that you can do yourself at home on a daily basis - so I'll be asking about that too.

Thanks again for your response. If I don't feel I'm getting what I need at Rozelle - I'll give Sue a call.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast