Thread: Do I need the birth certificate?

Default Do I need the birth certificate?

Just a quick question. When handing in proof of birth to Centerlink (for PPL) do I need to have the actual birth certificate from Births, deaths and marriages? Or does the hospital provide something similar that they will accept? A few people have told me that they had to wait a couple of weeks to receive their birth certificate before they could hand it in, which I am a little concerned about...

Thanks

ETA: I did call centerlink, but their estimated wait time was over 30 minutes.

Yes, I believe you do have to have the BD&M certificate, however I am not 100% on it.

Hmmm, I'm just reading on some other forums and they are saying you only need what the hospital gives you (it is stamped and signed etc)

Maybe I will just have to call again and wait..

I'm not sure about PPL but the hospital fill in a form in the baby book thingy that you give to Centrelink as proof of birth.

Thanks Tinks, this is what I have been reading on other forums. But I think I may call just in case. Centerlink website just keeps saying 'proof of birth' which could be many things.

You only need the form provided by the hospital.

I received my payments at least 3 weeks before her actual birth cert arrived.

Dont waste time on hold to centrelink especially this time of year they are far to busy and I can swear to you my information is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix View Post
    You only need the form provided by the hospital.

I received my payments at least 3 weeks before her actual birth cert arrived.

Dont waste time on hold to centrelink especially this time of year they are far to busy and I can swear to you my information is correct
    Thank you Beatrix! If I can avoid Centrelink I definitely will

Just make sure you complete the form! Many people see it as proof of birth and cos they've done online claim think they just hand it in. This is not the case! You have to complete it!!

Default Do I need the birth certificate?

As mentioned we just completed the online application for PPL and then the forms at the hospital. Centrelink seemed to approve it all way before the birth certificate arrived.

Yeah you don't need birth certificate but you DO need to complete the form from the hospital not just hand it in!

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    Just make sure you complete the form! Many people see it as proof of birth and cos they've done online claim think they just hand it in. This is not the case! You have to complete it!!
    What form BG? The one I will receive at the hospital? I have done online claim and been pre-approved...

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha View Post
    What form BG? The one I will receive at the hospital? I have done online claim and been pre-approved...
    Yes. The one at the hospital. It still has to be completed as it holds extra information ( like your baby's name! just as an example!)

Thanks BG!