Thread: Paid mat leave from Government while getting paid mat leave from work?

Default Paid mat leave from Government while getting paid mat leave from work?

I work for the DET so i am taking 6mth paid mat leave from my work (I am taking it at half pay). I was just going to opt for the baby bonus but now I am thinking I might be better off with the paid mat leave from the gov.

Can I receive both at the same time? If I do, will I get taxed more on the mat leave from the government because it is like a second job as I will also be getting paid from my work?

I am not trying to be greedy as i know some people get no paid mat leave, i'm just trying to work out what is best for our family.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I tried to do the Centrelink estimater thingy so that I would get both paid mat leave (govt secondary teacher in SA) and ppl but it said I wasn't allowed to do both at the same time

yes, you can get it at same time as employment leave
    you will get it taxed by your employer as if it is an extension of your normal pay from them and will tax it at the applicable rate for your combined payment as if all from your employer. this is the reason that the payment is delivered by employer, to make sure you are correctly taxed...

as long as you don't return to work (which it sounds like you won't if you're taking 6 months off!) before the 18 week payment period is done, you're all good.

You can take it at the same time and as its paid via the DET payroll/employee services they should work out the tax based on the total amount. I took mine separately. I set my PPL to start once my DET pay finished, it gave me a great length of time off

from the human services website here

If your employer is providing your Parental Leave Pay:

• they need to withhold PAYG (Pay As You Go tax withholdings) at the usual rate
    • they can deduct Child Support from your Parental Leave Pay if required to do so
    • they are not required to make superannuation contributions in respect of your Parental Leave Pay, but may do so if they wish to
    • you will be able to access other paid leave such as maternity leave at the same time as Parental Leave Pay, but you may be taxed at a higher rate
    • you may arrange for other deductions to be made from your Parental Leave Pay, and
    • you may salary-sacrifice some or all of your Parental Leave Pay, through voluntary contributions to superannuation.

Thanks girls. You have been a real help. I have already put my mat leave request in with work already do I guess I just need to do the one online for family assistance/centrelink.

I am worried the whole thing is going to blow my income estimates out with FTB so is it a possibility to ask family assistance to stop all my other payments and just reconcile at tax time? Can they do that and can i do that online? I have accesss to online services.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunet View Post
    You can take it at the same time and as its paid via the DET payroll/employee services they should work out the tax based on the total amount. I took mine separately. I set my PPL to start once my DET pay finished, it gave me a great length of time off
    This is what I have done. Sees me through until June

You can stop payments of FTB til tax time but can't do it online yet. You need to call up