Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPL. Did your employer pay you from your leave date?

Question PPL. Did your employer pay you from your leave date?

I am interested in how many of you had your employer pay you PPL from the date you finished up at work rather than wait for CL to pay them and then pass on to you.
    I was promised this verbally a few months ago, but I have a strong feeling this may change. I have tried everything to save as much as I could, but unfortunately with my decrease in hours combined with DH averaging about 3 days work a week (being promised 5 week after week) my savings is enough to last me 3 weeks at the most I am due to finish up at 36 weeks so I only have 3 more weeks left. I am really frightened about how we are going to pay for things. Not baby things, but things like rent, bills, car insurance, loan repayments. I have already made so many sacrifices trying to save the money.

How common is is for your employer to just pay you as soon as you leave rather than wait for CL?

I had PPL paid straight from the government (centrelink I think?). Much easier that way and you know it will be paid to you on time then too. Is that something you could do?

Centrelink was late paying my employer so i had to wait next pay

Hopefully your employer will stick to your verbal agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    I had PPL paid straight from the government (centrelink I think?). Much easier that way and you know it will be paid to you on time then too. Is that something you could do?
    Jaycee, this is the option where you have to wait for CL to process your claim etc, Usually around 2-4 weeks AFTER the baby is born. So finishing up at 36 weeks leaves 4 weeks no pay and then possibly another 2-4 weeks still with no pay until CL pays it to me. So, worst case scenario it could be 2 months with no money.

Mum2Sweetcs, that sucks How long did you have to wait?

Isn't there a payment like a medical one for people who can't work. I *think* a friend was on the centrelink looking for work up to 36ish weeks and then went onto a pension type payment for people who cannot look for work.... have you rung centrelink?

Default Re: PPL. Did your employer pay you from your leave date?

Tasha you can apply for PPL up to 3 months before the EDD of your child and the payment can be started from the date your child is born.

Quote Originally Posted by ladybirdflies View Post
    Isn't there a payment like a medical one for people who can't work. I *think* a friend was on the centrelink looking for work up to 36ish weeks and then went onto a pension type payment for people who cannot look for work.... have you rung centrelink?
    Hmmm, never heard of this. But I am guessing by the time I gather up all our income and assets and everything else CL will need, the baby will be here! But maybe I will call them *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by Dot Face View Post
    Tasha you can apply for PPL up to 3 months before the EDD of your child and the payment can be started from the date your child is born.
    Yes, I have already submitted my forms and have been approved. But they can't do anything until I give them the birth certificate and then it will take about 21 days to process. That's what they told me. the 21 days is not too bad, it's the 4 weeks before that PLUS the 21 days or so that is worrying me...

Do you have any annual leaving owing that you could use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    Do you have any annual leaving owing that you could use?
    No I am casual. But was doing 38+ hours a week, that's hospitality for you A couple of people I have spoken to have had their employers pay them from the week they left work. And then just waited on CL to reimburse them. I never see my boss, it all goes through our area manager so i hope we can work something out.

Default PPL. Did your employer pay you from your leave date?

Mine was paid a fortnight late even though centre link had my forms 7 months earlier. I elected to start my GPPL after I'd received my LSL and employer mat leave pmts so bubs was 7 months old and I still had my pmt delayed as my employer hadn't received the funds from centre link yet
    Very annoying. Lucky we had savings to draw on

Tasha have you tried calling centrelink family assistance office and explaining your circumstances to them and that you will be struggling financially unless you get the PPL payments straight away? They're (supposed to be) more understanding with people who will be in financial hardship and should be able to arrange something for you.

ARe you able to talk to your car insurance place and delay a payment? Same with bills. and loan repayments. Are you able to take your car off the road for a few weeks?

If PPL is delayed, do you get backpay to the birth? (I know Baby bonus doesn't work this way) If so, as soon as you get your first payment, you should be able to pay any delayed bills.

Because PPL has to be paid in full within 52 weeks of the child being born, backpay isn't applicable I don't think. So say for eg. if it's delayed for 4 weeks after baby is born then it would simply take 4 weeks longer to be paid than if PPL had been paid immediately after baby's birth. But best to double check with centrelink if in doubt.

PPL is backpayed- not like baby bonus at all. If you have elected your due date as your start date than you will be backpayed. I went through it with a consultant person when I had a chat about the bonus vs PPL. I was told it was backpayed and that would allpw me to return to work on time without losing any benefit :-D

Quote Originally Posted by MummyNaomi View Post
    Mine was paid a fortnight late even though centre link had my forms 7 months earlier. I elected to start my GPPL after I'd received my LSL and employer mat leave pmts so bubs was 7 months old and I still had my pmt delayed as my employer hadn't received the funds from centre link yet
    Very annoying. Lucky we had savings to draw on
    This is the kind of thing I am worried about

Quote Originally Posted by Dot Face View Post
    Tasha have you tried calling centrelink family assistance office and explaining your circumstances to them and that you will be struggling financially unless you get the PPL payments straight away? They're (supposed to be) more understanding with people who will be in financial hardship and should be able to arrange something for you.
    I'm not sure theres much they can do for me. But I will call after work tomorrow and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    ARe you able to talk to your car insurance place and delay a payment? Same with bills. and loan repayments. Are you able to take your car off the road for a few weeks?

If PPL is delayed, do you get backpay to the birth? (I know Baby bonus doesn't work this way) If so, as soon as you get your first payment, you should be able to pay any delayed bills.
    I'm not keen on having no car, I really need it. All our bills have currently got extensions on them, have for the last two quarters. I paid one today so I feel better already. And yes, PPL is back-paid. But it doesn't really help when you need it before hand.

I just really, really hope my boss will pay me from when I leave. Thanks for your ideas ladies

Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't the baby have to be born before the payments can start?
    So in a sense if your employer does what the promised they can be up to 10 weeks of your pay out of pocket (4 weeks before due date, possible 2 weeks over due and possibly 4 weeks for centre link to process money to them)

I haven't heard of any company that would commence payments before a baby was born.

I would definitely not be relying on this to happen, with out talking to whomever does your payroll - and understanding what their directive is.

I think you need to be looking at other ways of budgeting / finding the money.

Can your husband not get any more hours, either where is, or somewhere else?
    Even casually somewhere - nightfill at a local supermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't the baby have to be born before the payments can start?
    So in a sense if your employer does what the promised they can be up to 10 weeks of your pay out of pocket (4 weeks before due date, possible 2 weeks over due and possibly 4 weeks for centre link to process money to them)
    Yes that's right, but your employer can pay you before they receive the CL lump sum for your PPL. It's at their discretion I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by sahbear View Post
    I haven't heard of any company that would commence payments before a baby was born.

I would definitely not be relying on this to happen, with out talking to whomever does your payroll - and understanding what their directive is.

I think you need to be looking at other ways of budgeting / finding the money.

Can your husband not get any more hours, either where is, or somewhere else?
    Even casually somewhere - nightfill at a local supermarket?
    A friend of mine worked at Coles and her PPL payments started the week after she finished up. Trouble with DH job is he will get a txt that morning saying if there is no work, so it's very frustrating. He has no licence until end of July so we are kind of stuck until then. I have been doing everything in my power to save, but have had to use my 'baby' savings twice already for rent and bond ( we just moved house) so have 1/3 of what I estimated to have saved.

Hmmm, I will definitely call CL when I get a chance. They might be able to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast