Thread: Returning to work after an extended period of leave

Default Returning to work after an extended period of leave

So I've just applied for another 12 months of unpaid parental leave. My manager approves so it should be approved by HR. I have been thinking and wondering what others have done in this situation.

We have three kids now. Returning to work while juggling kinder and child care seems nightmarish without using family day care or grandparents or something. So DH and I have decided that I'll stay home til DS2 is at school, so another five years.

Problem with that is I can't extend my leave any more. Twelve months, plus one extension, is all that is allowed. This time next year I'll need to resign or return. Hopefully, I'll resign.

But what happens once DS2 is at school? I'd like to hear from anyone else who has successfully returned to work after an extended period. I know it depends a lot on your position and field... I work in corporate IT. My skills might suffer a little, but not greatly. I'd be applying for new positions I guess...

Then there's the other line of thinking telling me to try something different when I go back...

I'm interested to hear other people's situations...?

I could write an essay on this - I have many posts on here about returning to work :-) I may be having to revisit the whole decision again soon too. Anyway will answer question properly later.

DH didn't have the option of extending for another 12 months, so he resigned.

He is studying and intends to return to the workforce in a totally different area with totally new qualifications when the boys are both at primary school.

I therefore vote that you quit (after the next 12 months' unpaid leave) and then when your babies are all at school, you go be a midwife.

The end.

You're working for DH's business. On a resume, you could put that you've been doing admin duties on a part time basis raising your family. You then technically haven't left the workforce.

PacRak, you're right, I could definitely put that down. I'd really like to do a bit more for the business but the argument from DH is that we can pay someone to do that (a bookkeeper or similar) and I could return to my cushy, well-paid job.

P... God love ya, you're such a great support... I'd pushed that idea aside... Maybe it's time to revisit it...

I resigned when I went on maternity leave, the industry I worked in meant long days, so not really ideal. Two years ago became a swim teacher, wrks well around the kids, hoping to work 3 mornings next year, then once DD2 is settled into school in 2015 I'd like to wok 4-5 morning, sure it's not the greatest paying job, but I can drop kids at school and pick them up, I get I week of svhool holidays off plus around 4 weeks at Christmas time. Works for me!!

Ooh so jealous of the extra 12 months!

I was going to suggest continuing education/training and applying for new jobs when the time comes, but I love nutters suggestion! I vote for that The only reason I wouldn't do it myself is because of the hours, working nights etc.

I'm not sure if it's something you can do, but when I go back to work after this bub we're hoping to arrange a three day working week. When both kids are at school, or at least DD, I'd like to rearrange that to a five day week, working only during school hours. Would be essentially the same working hours through the week.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    PacRak, you're right, I could definitely put that down. I'd really like to do a bit more for the business but the argument from DH is that we can pay someone to do that (a bookkeeper or similar) and I could return to my cushy, well-paid job...
    You could sell the idea to DH - For now you can keep your company's hard earned money in your family's pocket. Sure if you want to go back to your job one day, go for it. But for now you can earn some extra money, keep your foot in your professional door and DH doesn't have to worry about the interview process or outsourcing ;-)

I start back at work on Monday, having left in March 2007 before DD1 was born. DDs 1 and 2 are year 1 and pre primary, so in school five days per week, but I still want to be around for them as much as possible. Obviously DD3 is a long way from any sort of schooling yet, and while I love being home with her and mummy guilt is giving me a kick in the pants that I'm "abandoning" my baby whereas I stayed home for her sisters, the idea of waiting four odd more years for her to be at school before I go to work is just too much. After more than six years as a SAHM I am desperate to be back at work, albeit in a part time capacity.

I am incredibly lucky in that my old employers have done everything they can to accommodate my needs (wants), and have given me hours/days that give me the balance I want of work and time for the girls. Otherwise, from everything I've seen and heard, finding a job that was mentally stimulating, well paid but only two days per week would perhaps take some time to find. I do think though that an extended absence from the workforce is more than offset by good skills and a good work history.