Thread: Still a bit confused...

Default Still a bit confused...

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between claiming PPL through your employer or straight from Centerlink? I have just been reading up and from what I have read/heard it's the same thing. Why would they give you the option then?

i dont think that you actually get the "option".

I also thought you could choose but then when i actually went on leave that wasnt the case... If you are returning to work after your leave you get paid it by your employer and they receive the money from centrelink as a reimbursement.. but if you ARENT returning to work then i think that is why you get paid directly from Centrelink..

Atleast that is how i interpreted it....

Quote Originally Posted by AlligatorsMum View Post

I also thought you could choose but then when i actually went on leave that wasnt the case... If you are returning to work after your leave you get paid it by your employer and they receive the money from centrelink as a reimbursement.. but if you ARENT returning to work then i think that is why you get paid directly from Centrelink..

Yeah, that's what I thought. But upon reading the info for employers on the CL site it's states (several times) that they are not obliged to pay you anything until CL pays them the money first. So it would be exactly the same as getting it straight from CL anyway.

Doesn't really make sense??

I think it just means that if you take a long time to sort out the paperwork etc and your place of employment doesnt get any money from Centrelink for like 8 or 9 weeks they dont have to pay you UNTIL they have the actual funds from Centrelink?

I just don't understand why it even goes through your employer if it's the same $ amount. Why not just have all PPL payments straight from CL? What is the benefit of going through your employer?

I will call them today!

I think the point of it going through the employer was to save administration fees for the government. PPL is paid to the employer who then pay it to the employee. I think it's a waste of time and money that way, but that's what the PTB decided to do.

It can be paid directly in certain circumstances, like bereavement or if you're not returning to work. When were you planning on returning to work? Would it be better for you to quit?

Quote Originally Posted by AlligatorsMum View Post

I was paid my PPL straight from centrelink and returned to work after leave, so I'm not sure this information is correct. Mind you, it was almost two year's ago so perhaps things have changed since then?

I think going via employer also ensures the correct amount of tax is deducted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycee View Post
    I was paid my PPL straight from centrelink and returned to work after leave, so I'm not sure this information is correct. Mind you, it was almost two year's ago so perhaps things have changed since then?

It changed.

It is to do with the employee maintaining a relatioship with the employer. Also some people take additional leave, like LSL, whilst on PPL, in which case, correct taxation is important.

This is some info from the Employers Toolkit
    2.2 Why we have it
    The Paid Parental Leave scheme is designed to:
    • recognise that taking time out of the paid workforce to care for a child is part of the usual course of life and work for both parents
    • promote equality between men and women and balance between work and family life.
    The scheme is also designed to help employers:
    • retain valuable and skilled staff by encouraging them to stay connected with their workplace when they become parents
    • enhance family friendly workplace conditions without having to fund Parental Leave Pay themselves
    • in the long-term, through the increased workforce participation of parents.
    So, it’s great for families but it’s also great for you. It’s an opportunity for your business to support employees at an important time in their lives, especially if you haven’t been able to provide paid maternity or parental leave in the past.
    It’s important to note, the financial support provided by the scheme is designed to complement and supplement any existing entitlements to paid and unpaid leave in connection with birth or adoption of a child.
    2.3 How it affects you
    As an employer, you play an important role in the Paid Parental Leave scheme.
    Your employee may approach you about taking leave. The scheme doesn’t give your employees a new entitlement to leave, but they must be on paid or unpaid leave and not working to get Parental Leave Pay. To get Dad and Partner Pay, your employee must be on unpaid leave and not working.
    And most importantly, your business may be required to provide Parental Leave Pay to an eligible employee—but don’t worry, we’ll always give you the funds first.
    Your obligations with Dad and Partner Pay
    You are not required to provide Dad and Partner Pay. Because it’s only a two week payment, we will always pay your employee directly.
    You need to be aware that an employee may approach you about taking unpaid leave so that they can receive Dad and Partner Pay.
    It’s up to your employee to apply for Dad and Partner Pay with us and negotiate leave with you.
    You need to know your employee’s leave entitlements including any entitlement they may have to unpaid leave under the National Employment Standards in the Fair Work Act 2009. Employees may also have entitlements to leave under a modern award or enterprise agreement. As always, you need to keep a record whenever your employee takes leave.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsandBears View Post
    I think the point of it going through the employer was to save administration fees for the government. PPL is paid to the employer who then pay it to the employee. I think it's a waste of time and money that way, but that's what the PTB decided to do.

It can be paid directly in certain circumstances, like bereavement or if you're not returning to work. When were you planning on returning to work? Would it be better for you to quit?
    Yes, I think this is correct. They told me it is the same thing, payment wise. But if you are still employed by that employer then they have to pay you after CL pays them.

My agreement to come back t work is only verbal, nothing on paper. So when I called up today CL told me that they were paying me, not my employer. I am not 100% sure I want to go back to this particular job anymore anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunet View Post
    I think going via employer also ensures the correct amount of tax is deducted?
    This is the primary reason. If you are paid ppl by your employer it can be correctly taxed, taking into account any paid leave you receive from employer etc. unless you are not rerunning to your place of employment or employer has an over riding reason not to register ten it has to be paid by your employer. If they refuse for whisper they can be fined

They are under NO obligation to pay you the ppl until the money has been paid to them from clink.