thread: Were you allowed to use your sick leave?

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Adelaide, SA

Question Were you allowed to use your sick leave?

When you went on maternity leave? Did you have to have a medical certificate to do so?

I was originally planning on working until 38 weeks but I am already starting to feel uncomfortable and will definitely not last another 12 weeks at work so thought I may leave around the 34 week mark.

I have 8 weeks sick leave and was wondering if this could be used before using my annual leave and starting maternity payments?

Any help would be appreciated!

And the truth is we don't know anything
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

I could at my work, it depends on your work's policy.

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2008
    Country Victoria

at my work place you can as long as the doctor or midwife caring for you writes a medical certificate.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Adelaide, SA

Did you have to have a certificate Pandora?

Mar 2007
    Melbourne

It depends on your workplace policy. We are required to leave at 34-35weeks. If I want to stay longer, I had to have a medical certificate saying I was fit to work, and If I had a pregnancy related illness in that time (35+) and still working I would not be allowed to use sick leave.
    If I was sick prior to the 34-35wk mark I was allowed to use sick leave.

BellyBelly Member
    Add JaCaMaDy on Facebook

Jan 2010
    Queensland

Hi Jaycee,

I finished work at 35 weeks, and used all my sick leave & annual leave before commencing maternity leave, so did one of my co workers. I didn't need any med certificate and i definetly think its depends on your workplace's policies

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007

I planned to work until 36 weeks but had to stop on Ob's orders at 30 weeks. I got paid sick leave for those 6 weeks. I work for a small business and have a good relationship with my boss so although I had a medical cert it wasn't a drama.

Aug 2008
    Adelaide

I was required to start mat leave at 34 weeks and needed a certificate to state I was fit to work beyond that. If I was sick at any point while on mat leave, I could apply for sick leave, with a certificate, and have the mat leave returned.

BellyBelly Member
    Add Sammiejane on Facebook

Aug 2007
    Melbourne

Im just going through this at the moment...
    Last time round, i used sick leave for the 4 weeks prior to confinement dates, this time round my boss (different on but same job) has queried it.
    Got a massive email from HR consultant today confirming that i can (i think) i have a meeting next week... But i spoke to the union as well and they told me that i cold use sick leave (as it is a medical condition that is preventing you from working) but i am not meant to 'plan' it... does that make sense. I do have to have a sick certificate though - but doesnt have to be from my OB, it can be from my GP...

Anyway i will come back later and post what was written in the email if you like.
    What do you do for work?

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

Yep I had to take mine just after 30weeks and we needed a certificate for anything longer than 1 day off sick.
    I also had to be careful the doctor didn't write due to pregnancy - it had to be specific, ie high blood pressure risk of abruption, hip pain etc otherwise the powers that be made you take your mat leave early instead.

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2007
    Gold Coast

I would think so too...probably (like others have said) as long as you have a medical certificate. I know we can at my work (though we do get unlimited paid sick leave) - I knew someone that was unable to work from 5 or 6months into her pregnancy - but just as long as her doctor gave her that certificate.

And the truth is we don't know anything
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

I had to have a cert to stay past 36 weeks and could use sick leave up until that time. If it was <2 days at a time I didn't need a cert.