Thread: What happens to ppl if I quit my job part way through?

Default What happens to ppl if I quit my job part way through?

I've had a bit of a look, but I can't find a direct answer to this question. There are some changes happening at work which means it would be hard for me to come back, there would be a lot of staff shuffling and someone would likely need to lose a job due to downsizing.

I've already been thinking though, this role isn't for me. There's not the flexibility I require - they do their best, I started off at four days a week but that really doesn't work, now I'm working Fridays at home. Even that is tough with DD running around, I won't be able to do it with two but I don't want them in full time care.

I know if I leave work I'll have my long service leave pro-rata paid out, so I'm thinking my options are to try to come back to a smaller more flexible role, or if that's not possible then to look elsewhere. But what happens to my ppl if I quit part way through leave? Not too take up another job right away, but because I no longer work there do they stop paying it?

I don't know the answer, but when did you plan on returning to work? My understanding is PPL is paid for 18 weeks. Could you resign after it's finished?

Well I'm not sure how it'll work this time. My employer pays 24 weeks leave at half my regular salary, then I'll take the 18 weeks government ppl. But last time they were both paid from the beginning, I just saved the ppl for the later weeks.

If I did it that way I guess it wouldn't matter anyway would it? But is that the right way to do it, have them both paid at the same time?

Default Re: What happens to ppl if I quit my job part way through?

I might be wrong, but from what I read before when I was looking it up when I was pregnant with dd, the centrelink eligibility PPL was more for before you got pregnant, unless its changed you have to have worked for 10 of the 18 months before youre due to take the leave, and if you have youre eligible regardless of if you're currently working atm. Knowing my luck its probably changed and I'm completely wrong lol.

Hey that's a good point Hope, if I have to work 10 of the 13 months before edd to be eligible, then I could quit 3 months before edd and still get it right? I might have to do some more digging around the centrelink site tonight I think.

On the PPL application it does ask if you will be employed by the same employer when your PPL is paid (can't remember exact words) so if you say no, CL would just pay it to you rather than your employer. I think..

Default Re: What happens to ppl if I quit my job part way through?

Fairly sure PPL won't be affected as you can get it even if no job to go back to. E.g as a contractor or casual you can get it as is based on 10 of 13 months rather than plans after that. If it was any other way would be problematic for people not in permanent employment. Your employer parental leave may be different eg we had to pay back if left within a certain number of months of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeki View Post
    Hey that's a good point Hope, if I have to work 10 of the 13 months before edd to be eligible, then I could quit 3 months before edd and still get it right? I might have to do some more digging around the centrelink site tonight I think.
    No you can't do this! You cannot have more than 8 weeks between work days or last work day and edd

If you do quit though you may lose your mat leave entitlement from work

I would say of you state in the form you won't be working for the same employer later (which is quite common with casuals etc) that would be the most logical thing. Ppl would be paid by fao directly that way

Ah bugger bg, no quitting early then lol Thanks for popping in, always nice to hear from an expert! Do you know if it's ok to get ppl and mat leave from work paid at the same time? If I do need to leave it'll be after the 24 weeks paid by my employer so that won't be messed up.

Yes you can be paid at same time, but make sure you are aware of the tax implications of doing it. You may end up with less cash in hand doing it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Teeki View Post
    NO! You won't that's not what it means. And never mind because BG already addressed that question!

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    Yes you can be paid at same time, but make sure you are aware of the tax implications of doing it. You may end up with less cash in hand doing it that way
    Yeah I have a feeling that happened last time. I reckon this time, I need to make sure I get the date right, and I'll get it paid by fao directly. Thanks

Teeki, I've structured my mat leave, ppl and annual leave one after the other so I can have a steady income for about a year and not be disadvantaged by paying more tax. You can nominate a start date for ppl to begin.