Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Mummies Support Group

Default Working Mummies Support Group

I would like to start a working Mummies support group. If it can be a sticky that would be great!
    DD2 is 4 mths and i am returning to work at the beginning of August. I really don't want to but need to financially. She is a real mums girl but luckily i have family looking after her. I will be working around 20hrs a weeks and will have the opportunity to bf in my lunch break. i currently live 5mins from work but will possibly be longer soon as we are looking for a bigger place. I tried to express tonight but got hardly any out even though i have had over supply issues. She has never had a bottle. I went back to work when DD1 was 6mths but she was on formula by then as i had been exclusively expressing and going on formula was an easy transition and i couldn't keep up with expressing and working.
    I will miss my routine being home with my girls.
    Anyway i wanted to start some kind of thread for working mums and the challenges we face returning to work and making it all run smoothly. Are there other mums in the same boat as me or have been through it before and can offer advice?

I'm going to be going through this soon. Currently looking for full time work after being a SAHM for two years. Need to work, but really don't want to.

Hi Crystalwings

Wow, your story and mine sound so similar - when DD was a baby I went back to work at about 4 months old. I tried to express, but found it really difficult - work wasn't really supportive and I started having supply problems. Wound up putting her on formula, even though I really didn't want to.

Just a suggestion but can you maybe start expressing the odd feed now to get her used to taking from a bottle well before you're due to go back? Even though you'll be able to bf during breaks, there may be the odd occasion she'll need to feed more frequently or at different times.

Hope it all works well for you

I'm in this boat. Have just started back at work after my second mat leave, I've got DD who is 2.5 and DD who is almost 1.

Returning to work this time was harder... First time round wasn't too bad as I was already pg so I had an end date when I went back

I'm still not convinced about being back... I don't want to be there, I don't know what I'm doing with my career...

Tips from what I've learned so far...

- be organized. Do meal plans, get things ready at night for the next day, get up half an hour before the kids so you can get yourself ready without being stressed or distracted.

- online shopping. Get over the delivery cost (I had to...!) and just do it. So much easier.

- try and do a little bit of housework each night after the kids are down. Just a little bit and it'll make it easier.

DS is fed formula by DH (who is the SaHP) during the day/night, and I feed him BM in the evening. My supply has settled so that he gets a good feed from me twice a day, and we both look forward to that time.

Definately get prepared - take your lunches, your snacks and your water bottle. If you are expressing, then a photo or video of your bub really helps. FWIW, they have to allow you to express, although they may require you to make up the time later. The ABA has some good information on it.

And give yourself a night off a week. If your partner is working as well, make sure he takes his turn to get up during the night. That night off helps keep your sanity!!!

Great idea....

thanks for all the replies.
    I really want to get some bm in the freezer and get DD2 used to the bottle from someone else. It will be interesting as i tried to feed using nipple shields as she had tongue tie and she wouldn't have a bar of them. i guess she will get a lunch time feed so if she hates the bottle at least she will get that feed.
    I'm a bit concerned cause my mum, dh's mum and DH will be looking after her which is a lot of caregivers. i have had issues with MIL imposing her own ideas on me before so will have to have a talk to her about being very open and talking about issues as they arise.
    with DD1 i was ready to go back to work but that desire just isn't there this time. Have to keep reminding myself it's only 2 and a half days a week , i can do that. DH is also keen for me to get back to paid work as my ppl will finish soon and i'll have a month with next to nothing.

Hullo,

I have been back at work for 4 weeks now. DD was 8 months old at the time. I'm only working 3 days per week, but as I'm a teacher I can't just leave it there... a pile of marking is looking at me accusingly as I type.

We didn't do the sums before I went back to see if I actually needed to go back. I thought I would want to go back and be ready to, so when school started back this year I said I'd be back Term 3 for 3 days per week. I wasn't ready to go, and I certainly wasn't ready to leave DD at daycare. But... she loves it there. She's become so social and is learning so much! I'm glad because if she didn't like it there I would have packed it in by the end of the first week. The cost of daycare is ridiculous, but we don't have the option of family care. And we earn *just* over the threshold for any childcare rebate. So once we have another one (hopefully next year), I will definitely be doing the sums. Can't see myself wanting to go back at all after that...

I'm with Ocean Princess, I just don't know where I'm going with my career. I used to be so ambitious and now my priorities have totally changed.

Organisation is key... and look after yourself. If the housework needs to go to hell for a bit while you get settled so be it, and go to bed early on "school nights". I've been using Aussie Farmers Direct and planning meals around that. If you don't already have a slow cooker, invest in one.

Hope you're all getting a handle on things.

Oh, the slow cooker... working mumma's best friend!

I started back to work this week. I had some retraining that last three days but from now on I will only work on weekends. I have agreed to work during the day every Sunday and every second Saturday. DH and I decided this was our best option as it means I can do all the school pick ups and drop offs during the week (I have two older kids as well as Miss P) and he will be home to look after the kids when I'm working. I also get 10 weeks holiday each year. I'm concerned about how my working weekends will impact on our time as a family, but I simply can't bear the thought of sending Miss P to childcare and the other kids to before/after school care. DH starts early and is usually home by the time we get home from school each day so we all have evening together... and ultimately, if it doesn't work we'll figure out something else!

I enjoy my job and I actually like having the opportunity to go to work. I go to work and talk about grown up stuff! Then I come home and appreciate what I have there. I have really missed Miss P the last few days but DH took those days off to care for her (we don't have much family around to help with child care) and the two of them have really bonded.

I have worked really hard to BF and I have no desire to stop so I expressed in the middle of the day and that seemed ok. I work in a very male dominated environment so I managed to frighten several of the blokes by pulling out my pump and asking for a quiet room!! No one used my bottle of expressed milk for their coffee so all was ok...

Hope we can all find 'the balance', it's nice to have others to share the experience with.

How is everyone managing? DD has been really unwell and we're running through our sick leave looking after her. I worked one day of my three last week and missed yesterday as well. It's so hard to strike a balance.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Just found this thread

I went back to work (same office diff role) 6 weeks ago for 2 days a week only to be called last monday to say he was doing a reshuffle and there was no job now.

Now I'm stuck

Oh Kylz, that's rotten - are you okay? What industry are you in, is there anything else on the horizon?

I only just found this thread too..
    Its not easy is it! I went back to work 3-4 days a week when DD was 5 and a half months old. I really struggled, with guilt.. With feeling ripped off and robbed of my time with her.. I was lucky to have family look after her (and they still do) which has helped them as well. I was alsoo feeling guilty for liking it? I got some 'stevie' time.. But I would give that all up to be a sahm.. I am still so jealous of those that get to spend every day with their kids. This is another reason,we are putting off ttc#2 we want to be financially ready for me to be able to maybe take 12 months off..

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie1978 View Post
    Oh Kylz, that's rotten - are you okay? What industry are you in, is there anything else on the horizon?
    I'm an insurance broker by qualification but looking at admin or anything now. nope nothing 43 applications and no job

Hi all.

What a great thread!

Firstly Kylz- that sucks luv. Can your employer just drop you like that?

I am due back at work in Feb. I'm in 2 minds about it. I enjoy my job (Im a nurse) and I don;t mind working- I just hope that DH will cope ok with the 2 girls at home.

He did wonderfully with DD1- but when I go back to work he will have 18month old and a 4month old to look after. Its a big job and I hope he will manage. I feel sad though that I will be going back to work so early but we dont have a choice. Someone has to earn the bucks....

xx

Yep cause he put me on as a casual when I went back which isn't the original agreement but hey

So glad to have you Aalina
    xx

I'll be going on maternity leave for the 2nd time on NYE but have no choice but to go back to work when she's 4 months old myself.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepixie1978 View Post
    Hullo,

I'm with Ocean Princess, I just don't know where I'm going with my career. I used to be so ambitious and now my priorities have totally changed.
    This is me exactly at the moment. I too am a teacher and, even last year when I went back to work at 6 months, I was still thinking about advancing in my career. I was even thinking about going back full time this year as I hated sharing my class and thought things would be better if I just did it all myself. This year, however, (I think especially after the Christmas holidays, entirely spent with DD), my priorities have started to change. I'm now thinking that working part time in a classroom roll might be ok for the long term and I don't really care about advancing at the moment......I can't believe I"m actually saying that lol!

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast