Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Mummies Support Group

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

I'm currently working 3 days but looking at going back full time how do you guys cope?

I find it hard. I'm currently working 4 days, with DD going to childcare each of these days. I was almost going back 5 days this year, until I realised I just didn't want her in childcare 5 days a week and there was no other option but for me to stay home and look after her (not that I mind, I love our days, but at the time I was feeling like the best way to get my job 'done' was to do it all myself, I've now decided I don't care lol).

Like a lot of others have said, I find I need to be really organised. Things have been easier in the mornings this year as DH has agreed to get up early (whilst I'm in the shower mind you) to organise the lunches (he used to stay in bed until the last minute he could get up and all the organising for lunches and organising DD was left on me......). I also try to do a few jobs around the house each night so that by the time the weekend comes around the house isn't a complete pig sty and there aren't 100 loads of washing to do so that we can actually spend some quality time together as a family (and DH is a big help in doing this too)

Hi - I'm returning to work in June when my little man will be 5.5 months old. Really not wanting to go back! I like my job but I just feel like I am going to miss out on so much stuff. I am going back three days a week and he will be in daycare those three days but only for 5hours hubby works early and finishes 1pm so he will pick him up. I'm glad that they will get their boy time in the afternoon but a little jealous that some nights he will already be in bed by the time I get home :-(

I was wonderig if there are any ladies here that returned to work and kept BF? I am going to try to express for him for during the days and BF mornings and nights and all the days I don't work obviously. How did u guys go about it? I am thinking I will just express each time he has a feed at daycare so I know I'm still doing as many feeds as he needs. Do u think this would be the right way to do it? I really want to keep going with BF as it has been easy for me so far and it feels stupid to just stop for convenience sake! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Minivini - I was incredibly lucky to have DS at the daycare very very near where I worked so I actually went to see him 2-3 times a day to BF. I would express when you would normally feed him to keep your supply up. Hopefully that will keep your suppy going and you'll be able to BF for a while yet. My supply suffered when I started traveling for work

Good luck!!

Tomorrow I return to full time work I need this for my own sanity after the last 7 weeks. DS already goes to Daycare 4 days so I don't think he will notice the difference other than the earlier wake up.

I think he should be fine Kylz. Just probably a bit more tired.

DD2 goes 5 days per week. I work 4 days most weeks and need the 5th up my sleeve for work and sanity. She is doing very well there and I have really noticed how her friendships have developed with the extra time there. The amount of art work she brings home, does drive me nuts though

Thanks Astrid.

Good luck Kylz! A few things that helped us were having lighter dinners when the kids had cooked lunches at cc (especially when they were your DS' age). We'd often do sandwiches as they were tired and wanted to hang out with mum. I cooked a few meals on the weekend and stocked up the freezer to make the evenings easier. Also we packed bags and lay out clothes at night (for everyone) as it made the mornings much easier.
    I also tried to remember what we were aiming for with me working and had a few treats booked in so we all enjoyed our family time on the weekends. Plus the odd coffee during the week, lol! xxx

Great idea good luck kylz!
    I have one of those divided boxes from freedom, it has 3 divisions in it, but when I fold the washing, I put ds1's clothes in it for the week, all divided. He's only there 3 days, but it does make it easier.

sent from the Hellmouth.

Kazbah - I was fairly similar when DD1 was going 2 days a week, it was easy then to have childcare specific clothes. Now, with DD2 going 5 days, almost everything is for childcare, except for a few outfits.

Made the big decision today to see if MIL will come over for the school holidays. Way to busy time for me and I really need to be able to work longer days (currently 9-3) and all 5 days. DD1 does not want to go to Vacation care as it is very hit and miss whether she knows any of the other kids. I could organise a couple of play dates for her to break it up, but hate relying on that just so I can work. We can fly her over for the same cost as Vacation care (after CCB and CCR). Seeing that work will always be busy with this lot of school holidays, we may need to make it a permanent arrangement.

Well that went soooo fast. Was good day

Glad you had a good day Kylz.

Mak I find the same thing since the "Winter Menu" started at daycare. DD loves it. But oh man the day after chilli con carne... jeepers.

Well I start work next week and my DS started daycare today. He apparently went well with his sleeps but decided to go on a hunger strike! I feed him at home 7am and then he didn't fed again until 1230pm!! Missed a whole feed - clearly he was starving by then lol. The rang and told me @ 12 that he hadnt eaten and I just said I'll be there in 5 - poor little guy! By my hubby talked me into leaving him and going to get him when we had planned at 130pm and I'm so glad he did. Hopefully tnrw will go even better.

It's hard but I guess I know deep down that if he is really hungry he will eat or if he is really upset they will tell me that he really needs me.

Hi guys
    I was supposed to start back at work today. But the weather has other idea's. We just had 4 or so weeks off.
    I think I've got it kinda easy, long as I'm organised. I work from home cooking. I do about 4 hours a day average, 7 days a week, weather permitting (cook for shearer's, if it rains they don't work, so i don't work).
    So I can still bf DD when ever she needs, but if I'm not on top of my house from the minute the girls get up at 7.15, the whole day is a write off. DS has school 2 days a week & DD is home full time. Its busy, but I'm so much better at life/organisation when I'm busy!

I have recently returned to work - a mix of full-time and part-time depending on the week - I only have childcare for children three days a week but got my mum over from the UK to cover the other two days as I am only on a five month contract so the solution is half doable. The first couple of weeks before mum arrived hard - I have to get the kids to day care for about 7:40 and then get public transport to work to start around 8:45-8:50. DH does the pick up as he finishes at 16:30 so the kids get home about 5:40 ish and me about 6:00 if I get a good run home. With mum here is a bit easier as she does pick up and drop off most days but she is off to Darwin for a month next week for a break and to see my grandma - we only have a two bed flat so she is sharing with kids so is pretty intense. DS sometimes wakes and she has been resettling him if is quick but otherwise I am doing it. The weeks where I have worked full-time are hard, I feel like I never see them, and have had to go to Sydney twice once was away 3 days 2 nights - the three days a week are not so bad, but I still feel so so tired but am having more difficulty sleeping than I normally do.

I actually really enjoy the work, far more than I thought I would , I was a bit down in the dumps before (took me three months to find anything), and if a teleporter existed to get me too and from work in zero time and was definitely only 3 days a week - would be really good. I am getting more exercise as can cycle, or walk part of the journey, work do a bootcamp in the park one lunchtime, and I love the free fruit, and free good coffee, and the chatting without interruption.

DH has always cooked up meals for freezer for his lunch - so now is just doing the same for me and we have a smaller meal in the evening which works well. If I haven't worked a day I make enough for a couple of meals and restack the freezer. When mum isn't here the house is a shambles but never was that great anyway.

What I am struggling with really is that it isn't really giving us any financial benefit because of childcare fees and this is with only 3 days a week in CC - it would be alot more with 5 days, and I worry that after this contract I will have to do that. I never wanted to have to have them in fulltime CC especially the long days they do - but worry it will be my only option. People often say "must be great to have some money" but really isn't giving us much after the fees - I suppose I am doing it because I fear ability of being able to renter the workforce if I stay at home for longer.

Is anyone else in this position? Working but probably would be better off short-term at least if didn't?

I have recently returned to work - a mix of full-time and part-time depending on the week - I only have childcare for children three days a week but got my mum over from the UK to cover the other two days as I am only on a five month contract so the solution is half doable. The first couple of weeks before mum arrived hard - I have to get the kids to day care for about 7:40 and then get public transport to work to start around 8:45-8:50. DH does the pick up as he finishes at 16:30 so the kids get home about 5:40 ish and me about 6:00 if I get a good run home. With mum here is a bit easier as she does pick up and drop off most days but she is off to Darwin for a month next week for a break and to see my grandma - we only have a two bed flat so she is sharing with kids so is pretty intense. DS sometimes wakes and she has been resettling him if is quick but otherwise I am doing it. The weeks where I have worked full-time are hard, I feel like I never see them, and have had to go to Sydney twice once was away 3 days 2 nights - the three days a week are not so bad, but I still feel so so tired but am having more difficulty sleeping than I normally do.

I actually really enjoy the work, far more than I thought I would , I was a bit down in the dumps before (took me three months to find anything), and if a teleporter existed to get me too and from work in zero time and was definitely only 3 days a week - would be really good. I am getting more exercise as can cycle, or walk part of the journey, work do a bootcamp in the park one lunchtime, and I love the free fruit, and free good coffee, and the chatting without interruption.

DH has always cooked up meals for freezer for his lunch - so now is just doing the same for me and we have a smaller meal in the evening which works well. If I haven't worked a day I make enough for a couple of meals and restack the freezer. When mum isn't here the house is a shambles but never was that great anyway.

What I am struggling with really is that it isn't really giving us any financial benefit because of childcare fees and this is with only 3 days a week in CC - it would be alot more with 5 days, and I worry that after this contract I will have to do that. I never wanted to have to have them in fulltime CC especially the long days they do - but worry it will be my only option. People often say "must be great to have some money" but really isn't giving us much after the fees - I suppose I am doing it because I fear ability of being able to renter the workforce if I stay at home for longer.

Is anyone else in this position? Working but probably would be better off short-term at least if didn't?

Short term work is a tough one. I did that a couple of years ago, gained some money, but then had to live an a lower fortnightly FTB for the rest of the year. So overall probably not worth it then.

It is worth it for me now. After Childcare expenses and a signification reduction of FTB, we are about $10k per year better off. Next year, once childcare is dropped (but vacation care and school fees will go up), we will be much better off. I work 4 days per week school hours. I am in a dilemma though. Home wise, 3 days would be better, but work wise the 4 days is great. I do really feel it since going from 3 -4 days.

I do love the mental stimulation at work and of course the extra money I do think overall I am a better parent for it, I find DH is better when I am working, even though it is stressful and exhausting at times. But then so it worrying about money.

If this contract isn't renewed then I will only have worked a couple of weeks of the next tax year so it shouldn't really affect things too much in terms of payments. I will just be faced with the whole trying to find something and maybe only finding full-time. I think if only had one in childcare would be easier decision - working would definitely be financially more viable so I suppose I only have to work out what works best till Jan 2015 , sometimes I think maybe would be better off doing five days but shorter hours but then you don't save any money on childcare that way - unless some other childcare option could work out cheaper.

I think we work out about 4K better off - for this financial year but is hard to tell because I am really a bit clueless about what will happen when it comes to tax time, and whether I will owe stuff from before I started work (things like the CCB - I assume that my % has gone to zero because I have already been overpaid it according to the money will earn by end of the year, because our combined income isn't above the threshold so otherwise should be getting some reduction). I agree about worrying about money - but sometimes I do think that YNAB is giving me more information than I really want to know, because I know if I wasn't using that I would probably be merrily thinking - yay I am working I have money :-)

In my mind I used to think I would work and DH would stay home (that didn't work), or I would stay home (have done for a while) - but I think now we have finished having children I realise that really I just need a compromise - it is great for me to work - I am much happier, I felt a bit useless at home (I am a rubbish home-maker) especially during the three months when job hunting and having the children in childcare - I like working far more than I realised.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast