Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Mummies Support Group #3

Default Working Mummies Support Group #3

Continuing on from http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ml#post3437065

Default Re: Working Mummies Support Group #3

Soooooooooooooooooo tired. Even for a Monday.

But very productive!

How are others?

Woo hoo we are onto thread #3.

Tomorrow my last day off before new job starts Wednesday. Getting hair cut tomorrow, and trying to ensure have enough stuff sorted for meals and lunches as am flying solo till Friday. Is quite weird DH being away he has been away since Sat (pre kids I was the one who traveled) once the kids go to bed I don't really know quite what to do with myself (he normally picks all the TV shows so I don't know quite what to watch so have been watching lots of Midsomer Murders - or rather just having them on in background - it feels uncomfortable with no noise on).

My mum decided on Friday she is coming over from UK to help with school and the kids while DH is away again next week for the month, which is great and gets rid of main main worry about really long days for DD at OHSC for the first few weeks of school. I am very lucky to have a parent who although lives so far away has the means and time to come over and help. Shame helping me out wouldn't count for anything on a visa application. Looks like is about an average 13 year wait for a parent visa.

LL - hope your application does the trick

Welcome Caleb&SevensMama

I see TA has scrapped his PPL scheme - maybe this will mean they will hurry up and sort out whatever the improvements are going to be for childcare affordability, whoever is in government, it certainly needs addressing.

Ok here. Work is busy enough with some challenges, which overall helps keep me focused. Most work colleagues are pretty good, but there is one nuff nuff who I just cannot comprehend how she still has a job and she drives me batty. So the busier I am the better, so I can just ignore her.

So today there was an emergency meeting at work. We were told that our Level 6 NICU (one of only two in the state) is being closed in 2 years and merging into one big statewide NICU in 2 years.

What this means: Too many staff for not enough work. Loss of jobs. The option to tranfer to the new hospital (however positions will be EXTREMELY limited)

Some staff will get to stay in the special care nursery - permanency doesnt mean you automatically get to stay.

So what do I do?

Start looking for a new job? (I won't be able to do what I do now though), or wait and see what happens over the next couple of years.

Just want to cry.

still on the teaching contract roundabout

I got good news today - offered a 2 term contract in a school library. No teaching component though. Not sure of starting day yet but heading in this afternoon to look around. If I start tomorrow I'll be going in late as oldest DS starts school tomorrow but did let them know that that would be happening.

Good news Leckert.

Caleb&SevensMama - that is not good news - what would I do - I would probably wait and see what happens but keep an eye out for any really good other opportunities. 2 years is a long time.

First day for me - was ok - first day like, travel time was ok. DD loved before and after school hours care - I thought she would but is reassuring that she actually did - she is now disappointed she won't be doing everyday when my mum is here :-) kids you can't win!!!

My pet peeve of the day is articles that turn up on FB that suggest you are doing it wrong and if only you just followed their sensible organizing tips your life would be much easier. I would like more articles messages in my news feed along the lines of:

Yes your morning will be a rush if you only have 30 mins for 3 people to get up dressed and out the house - just accept it,breathe and get on with it :-)

Caleb&Sevenmum - bummer (app has light blue names for me so couldn't see who was posting re the nicu. I think I'd start looking for an area you'd be happy working in (in case you don't get to go to the new unit)

I start tomorrow negotiated a late start because of DS first day stuff. Need to do the same for Friday (don't want to use before school care the 2nd day of school as DH can't drop off due to work start time) in okay with after school care on Friday though

I didnt realise we had started a new thread haha.
    Caleb&Sev -no fun coming there. I agree maybe keep an eye out for something of interest.
    Sounds like everyone has everything falling into place this week. I am enjoying my last few days of freedom.

Hey ladies

New thread woohoo!

Wysiwyg - new job is sounding good. Where are you based? CBD or suburbia?
    How great that your mum is coming across. We are the same, my ILs are able to help which is wonderful. Visa, 13 years really??? Crazy.

C&Smama - I'd definitely be keeping my options open. As someone said 2 years is a long time - start checking the job vacancies boards for your industry, register with seek.com if that works for your area... But don't do anything rash just yet

Leckert - yay for your contract! Would you like teaching though?

AFM: I've applied for a new job with a not-for-profit. Same sort of work but very different company. Applied Friday and have heard doughnuts which is starting to stress me out as of course I've decided I really want it...

Fingers crossed OceanPrincess that they get in contact

Caleb&Sevenmum - DH is going through something similar. Big changes are happening at his work, but it is all taking its time to eventuate. We are just bidding time a bit. DH is on the lookout for other work, but won't jump ship unless the other role is really worth it.

Home with a sick kid today, was called into school to pick her up. I don't think she is that sick, but it works for me, as we have to get the house look presentable before 5:30

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Hey ladies

New thread woohoo!

Wysiwyg - new job is sounding good. Where are you based? CBD or suburbia?
    How great that your mum is coming across. We are the same, my ILs are able to help which is wonderful. Visa, 13 years really??? Crazy.
    No am in Essendon Fields!!! Don't work in Logistics if you want to be in the CBD would be my advice. And if anyone wants to work in Logistics live West or North West Melbourne - not East :-(

Good luck with your job app OP

Hi ladies, how are we all? Mumma T I missed the new thread too, whoops!

Wysiwyg how's the new job? That's great that your mum can come over, but what a pain about the visa! It's funny, my mums best friend moved here from the UK when she was 8, and a little while ago tried to get a passport for a holiday back there. Turns out she's not an Australian citizen! It's only been 45 years lol. She's got a TFN and everything that usually needs citizenship, somehow it just got missed.

Astrid I snorted my drink at nuff nuff lol. Hope they get their butt into gear.

C&S, I agree with Wysiwyg and OP. 2 years is a long time and you don't yet know what will happen or what might turn up. I'd be on the lookout for a job you'd be interested in, and apply if a good one turns up, and in the meantime keep trying to get as much info about the merger as possible. Big hugs, it sounds stressful.

Leckert, hooray for your job! Hope your first day and the first day of school is going well.

OP great news about the job application! When do applications close? Friday to now isn't too long, I'm sure you'll hear from them. Best of luck to you.

AFM: I'm loving my job. Currently wondering if I should work Tuesdays too. It would still be beneficial with daycare - 3 days is the max I could do. I'm torn because I love as many days home with the kids as possible, but more money would be nice. But one extra day is such a small amount extra after daycare. I don't know really.

Yeah so I got an interview Thursday next week. Bit nervous - it has been a while since I had an interview!! Think I need to do some googling on behavioural interview questions!

Woohoo! Brilliant news, good luck!

OP - that is awesome!!! Good luck for the interview!

Good Luck OP

I'm used to reaching one subject along with library so having no classes seems odd. First day for DS went went & for me not too bad (the no class thing is still throwing me)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast