Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Mummies Support Group #3

Default Re: Working Mummies Support Group #3

So sorry BD thats really awful

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

Yep but then again I'm not surprised. Glad it's over but annoyed at same time

Sorry to hear that bd. It always sucks the big one when the decision is taken out of your hands, even if it was what you were planning anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with returning to work for a few weeks before going on a second lot of mat leave. My situation is as follows. First child just turned one on the weekend and I'm due with number 2 in 8 weeks. The original plan was for me to extend my mat leave for number 1 for three months then go straight to mat leave for number 2. This was the best for me and my company as my replacement was going to extend his contract so it was going to work perfectly from a continuity perpective. My replacement has been told his company won't extend his leave of absence and he is unwilling to give up 11 years of service for a temporary contract. Understand completely. I also understand why my company can't 'make up' a full time position for him. It was a great situation gone completely pear shaped. So... my dilemma is do I offer to go back for four to six weeks part time as I can't get care for my daughter. My issue with this is I'm likely to be then classified part time and paid mat leave at this pay as well as only being able to return at the same rate... I also think it might be a little unfair on my daughter who doesn't get the concept that a baby will be here in a couple of months, taking up a chunk of my time. I don't know if I did one day a week in the office as well as a couple of hours a day during her naps would help prepare her or deprive her of our last few weeks together.

I'm quite ready to do something with my brain and I would have been back at work if number 2 wasn't imminent.

I'm completely befuddled on what to do so if anyone has any experience or opinions, please throw it out there.

Sorry Foss, no idea what would work best - what does your employer say? What are they intending to do when you have the baby? Can't your mat leave for number 2 just start earlier? Going back in your last few weeks of pregnancy seems not a great option (I know I finished up at 32 weeks with number 2 because was far more tiring than with number 1)

Hi wysiwyg. Work has already extended my leave so it runs straight into number 2 but I was thinking about going back for a few weeks until they find someone else. It was,more that I wanted to give back because of how great they have been. Given how exhausted I am now, not sure how I would go. I'm only 32 weeks at the moment but get what you mean about more tiring.

Aah I see, I also understand the not wanting to leave them in the lurch but I would be a bit selfish and enjoy your time at home, for such a short time probably wouldn't be as helpful as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    People who have children at school - does your school have parents association meetings during the day? Do you go to them?

I am keen to be involved in the school where I can, but is very challenging when they have their first parents association meeting during the day and on the same day as an open classroom and picnic in the evening which I am already having to leave work early for. With travel time I would have to take day off work really to attend - I can't fathom why it is a good idea to have them in the daytime??

Back when I was a child, mum was always involved in the parents association or the PTA as was called in UK, but then (when there would have been far less working parents) they were always held in the evenings.
    Held in the evening here. Most parents work in some capacity. Even if only one parent works, it opens it up to both parents being able to attend. There are many fathers on school council, whereas parents club seems to be all mothers.

There is one meeting held during the day and that is the Finance one, this is due to needing the business manager (Office) there.

I am school council and one sub-committee that is about building the school community (not a standard sub committee, but one those in the Dept want more schools to have). Would like to be on Finance, but the day and time does not fit with work (anyway 2 meetings a month is enough really )

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
    Held in the evening here. Most parents work in some capacity. Even if only one parent works, it opens it up to both parents being able to attend. There are many fathers on school council, whereas parents club seems to be all mothers.
    See that is what I thought too, evenings would be the best option to get most people to attend. I asked about it in the starting school thread, and the answers I got about daytime meetings not being uncommon because night times are 'difficult' really surprised me (most of the difficulties with night-times are also faced by those who work in the day - but the fact is however difficult it is to work around meal-times and bedtimes etc etc - it is much easier than trying to get time off work.)

I am just surprised at how many things are scheduled during the school day (3 so far) (things that are supposed to be about people getting to know each other, giving out information and fostering as sense of community – not things that obviously have to be during school hours – like tuck shops etc) - is like there is an expectation that work is a thing that people can easily come and go from as they please, which can’t be normal surely? (certainly isn’t the experience of DH or I – or friends of ours (teachers being a prime example)).

The one on today I sent my mum on my behalf - and she thought was only about 20 - 30 parents there (the school has 600 pupils) - it was meant to be a welcome one for foundation parents too which I thought would have bolstered the numbers some what - she did find out that they do alternate the meetings daytime and evening - so I wonder what attendance they get in the evening - I would have thought that if they get double that in the evening then why do the day ones.

Got new job. Start Thursday. Back full time The boss seems really nice and easy going. Hope this one works out.

Good luck! I hope it's awesome

Keeping everything crossed this one is better BD

Thanks Guys seemed really positive. Just not sure how I will go getting to work. It's a 35 min drive In normal traffic so I'm dreading peak hour

That is like mine BD - 35 mins in the morning because I leave at 7:00 but coming home at 16:30 - an hour is a good run - my tip is become friends with Google Maps and its traffic view - using that has really helped me as I can alter my route according to the traffic, I check on computer at work before I leave but also have it on my phone and can use like a Sat Nav. I still hate it but using it and audiobooks/podcasts have made it more bearable. (Also at work there are a few people who live similar directions and if there is an accident or something, someone always knows about (benefit of Logistics company I suppose) and so they let us go earlier before the bad traffic builds up)

OMG someone kill me now. Sooooooo tired

Hope the tiredness has passed BD - or at least got a little less.

Mum leaves on Wednesday but DH is back so real life starts Thursday. Work is ok, the work itself is good but team environment not as friendly and 'team' like as I would like - but sometimes just because of the commute which I hate I wonder if that is tainting my opinion of the work itself.

Just booked all the holiday care for DD - as we are paying for DS anyway, and DH job finishes just after Easter felt couldn't take any time off (plus the commute those weeks will be a dream :-)).

OP - don't you start your new job soon.

MN - how is your job going?

Hello ladies, I was wondering why I couldn't reply to any posts then realised at 25 pages the last thread had probably been closed and a new one started but I couldn't for the life of me remember where this thread lived- was looking in the family life and after baby forums. Didn't even think of the pregnancy forums!

Could we have a link to the new thread at the end of the old perhaps?

Anyway, still catching up on news so apologies for merely 'liking' posts and not writing. But from what I can garner...

OP did you get the job?

BD how is the new job going? Bugger on the last one. Sounds pretty suss to let you go on a series of 'small mistakes' anyway so maybe not a great work environment anyway.

MummaT how are you? How is the new role?

Leckert yay on the job. I hope it feels good even without teaching.

Foss congratulations on a new round belly! I would be leaving that bit earlier too, could you finish any loose ends from home? I did that with the latter stages of both of my pregnancies. Finished office at a certain point but did bits and pieces from home after that.

Wysiwyg and Peanutter how are you? Thank you both for your detailed advice in my job interview post.

Speaking of, I got the job! Fulltime for the first time in a long time. Will be flexi- leaving work around 4 most days and picking up the extra at home. Was hesitant going fulltime but this is a place I've dreamed of working at since uni. It is a new role in a new department which excites me and I feel I have to give it a good go.

However with a history of nagging Motherguilt I have felt unable to openly celebrate this great new role... I think not only because it is full-time but because it is a whole new role in a new place in a new city and state. My first job change in 8 years! I feel like I am not going to be enough for my babies, both of whom are very mama-focussed (3 years and 11.5 months). For the moment DH (not working due to a 13 year redundancy) will be their carer so I know they will be in excellent hands but I have always been their number one even while working and it upsets me a lot to think about not being there for the bulk of the week/month/year etc. I guess this is normal and I also think I am nervous about this new start generally.

Congrats - and good, thanks.

The last few week shave been really, really crazy busy - working late most nights, and don't remember the last time I was home for dinner more than once in a week.

But all in all, things are going well

Job is going great just need this baby to sleep

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast