Thread: Kid-friendly sausage casserole ideas?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Kid-friendly sausage casserole ideas?

Need some ideas for a sausage casserole - my son loves sausages and thought we'd make something he would especially like tonight. A few of the recipes I have seen online are very tomato based and he's not a huge fan. If anyone has any recipes, ideas or suggestions on what might work well please share

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

A favourite in our family is curried sausages. I just vary the amount of curry that I use depending on how "hot" I want it. I usually put in potato, carrots and peas. If you want to sweeten it, pumpkin is always nice. I don't have an actual recipe but I know that I always put in pork sausages, curry powder, garlic, beef stock, tomato paste, veges (whatever I have on hand). Then I'll season it to taste - sometimes add some garam masala. I let it stew for a bit and then add in some cornflour to thicken it.

Probably not quite a casserole, but you can cook snags and then throw some french onion soup mix in the frying pan with them. Add half the amount of water as it says on the pack and let it simmer until it thickens a little. You could always chuck some veggies in and serve it over rice. Quick and easy!

My family make curried sausages similar to Cass72, my brothers (a tomato hater!) favourite. Om nom nom

This recipe isn't very gourmet but my kids love it and it uses everything I already have in the cupboard.

1kg Desiree potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
    40g butter, chopped
    3/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 brown onion, sliced
    750g pork or beef chipolata sausages
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup barbecue sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    35g packet French onion soup mix
    1 tablespoon plain flour
    1/2 cup grated tasty cheese

Step 1
    Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan. Add butter, milk and salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
    Step 2
    Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until browned. Whisk tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soupmix, flour and 3/4 cup water in a jug. Stir into sausage mixture and bring to the boil.
    Step 3
    Spoon sausage mixture into an 8-cup capacity casserole. Top with potato. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is golden. Serve.

Sounds likes something my DH would like tinks might have to try it

We make the same one Tinks, the kids love it!

I use normal sausages and cut them up when they're almost cooked.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks so much everyone, DP ended up busy with work so we decided to order dinner and postpone this til tomorrow. Sounds great Tinks will give it a bash Thank you!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team