thread: Steak ideas for tonight!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Steak ideas for tonight!

Ive bought some yummy eye filet steaks and want to cook my partner a great steak. He likes medium rare and I couldnt help but notice on My Kitchen Rules, one of the teams cooked a great steak, by turning every 20 seconds for I think 4 minutes. Whereas generally you hear to turn it once. What do you do?

Also, what should I make with the steak? Want to do something yummy, not spicy and away from the usual boring potato and veg - without being too complicated. With a yummo sauce too!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

I don't know about turning more often for less time, wouldn't that just keep cooking the outside without the heat getting to the middle? Or maybe that's how you want medium rare, I have no idea because I hate to see pink in my steak lol.

The best steak I've had came from Jamies 15 minute meals. You rub the steak with sal and 1 tsp sweet paprika (this is for 500g steak) and then he says "place on the hot griddle pan, turning every minute until cooked to your liking." I didn't cook it that way, but maybe there's something in the turning thing? Anyway, on a board finely slice the stalks of half a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsle and roughly chop the leaves. Mix with 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard and 1 tbsp olive oil (I used coconut oil), season with salt and pepper and squeeze half a lemon over.

When the steaks are done, transfer to the board and turn in the dressing, then slice them up. It was served with ratatouille and saffron rice.

Eating this, I realised that I just have not had a real steak before, it was amazing!

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2011
    New South Wales

Steak ideas for tonight!

I've seen a couple of cooking shows that recommend turning regularly to keep the juices in the steak.

Jun 2010
    District Twelve

Google Heston Blumenthal how to cook the perfect steak. The continual turning is his method.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

That sounds yum Teeki! Although I don't think we have lemon Have yet to do post-holiday shopping so we're out of a few fresh items. Too buggered to go shopping now, I am barely getting any sleep

N2L - thanks heaps, will read about it
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2007

Jamie O recommends turning every minute as well as the heat rises through the steak and so you essentially lock it in. We do 4 mins each side for med-rare sometimes if it's super thick mine will get an extra minute. Make sure you rest it for a few minutes as well. If you have time, a red wine jus or gravy is yummy too although I am still trying to perfect mine and can't quite get it right. Enjoy!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Okay now I am drooling! Thanks heaps everyone, some great suggestions and after watching a couple of youtube clips from those chefs, I think I am gonna rock it Ta!!!

Kelly xx