Thread: Abo incompatibility

Default Abo incompatibility

Hi im just wondering if anyone can try an explain abo incompatibility a bit more to me.
    And how even after many tests and scans how it could have been missed during a pregnancy?

Default Re: Abo incompatibility

My limited understanding is that when the mum is O blood group and the baby is A or B, if the bloods come into contact with each other the mum develops antibodies to the babies blood. Usually the babies become jaundiced earlier and higher levels than normal jaundice.

As far as I know, there isn't a way to test for it in pregnancy (might be wrong here), I don't call seeing it tested for anyways it's usually picked up after birth when the baby develops jaundice and has a blood test for it's blood group and antibodies.

Hope that helps, not sure if it will x

Im agree with saffy. Its a simular reaction to the positive negitive blood incompatibility, just not as common.

It happened with my ds and I.
    Me = O blood type,
    dp = A blood type
    and so ds = A blood type.

It was explained to me that somehow through the placenta before birth I pass on antibodies to ds's blood type. These antibodies break down his red blood cells causing the more severe jaundice. It's not possible to test for during pregnancy.

Hm, I wonder if my mum's O type then? I'm A+, and had severe jaundice when I was born...

Thankyou everyone. It does help a little more. Dd2 who is now 16 days old had a rough start.

Turns out we had abo incompatibility ( Im O and she is A) and our bloods did somehow cross. She also had a very tiny placenta which had started to break down at 35weeks....as it turns out We both now have extra antibodies in our blood too.

She was born via emergency csect at 39+weeks and weighed only 2.6kgs and I had a massive blood loss and was in surgey for many hours. So I guess I was or am just trying to work out what went wrong

What a huge ordeal for you =( I hope you are both recovering ok.

It is normal for a little blood to cross, but usual not enough to cause significant reaction, Unfortuantly sometimes it does, or for some reason more crosses.

Sorry to hear you two have had such a rough start. How stressful for you and unpredictable so your not at all prepared. How is your dd doing now?

Oh you poor guys, sounds pretty rough. Hope you we all on the mend now x

Thankyou. Dd had a rough start had server jaundice within 12 hrs, couldn't feed for a while (enter tube feeding). Had bloods taken about 2-3 times a day untill they were ok to let us leave.
    But were going well now, she a lil piggy so feeling like a moo cow lol

You poor things. It can be tough to get the milk happening too when you've got a babe too sleepy to suck so good on you. Glad your all doing ok now