Thread: Changes in eyesight during pregnancy

Default Changes in eyesight during pregnancy

I hope this is in the right place....

Just wondering if anyone else who wears glasses/ contacts has had a change in prescription while pregnant? Last pregnancy I had my yearly checkup at about 20 weeks and my eyes had deteriorated significantly, I got a new prescription and was all fine until perhaps 6 months postpartum when my eyes were bothering me again. I had another eye test and my levels had improved back to where they were pre pregnancy.

I seem to be having the same issues again this pregnancy. I end each day with a major headache and pain behind my eyes and generally feeling yukky. I have worn glasses for almost 20 years and my eyesight has never improved before. So curious if anyone has also found the same thing?

Default Re: Changes in eyesight during pregnancy

Apparently it's completely normal! If never heard of it until now!

Some people only need glasses when pregnant!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95613.htm

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Yes happened to me as well. I noticed it improved around 6 months pp too.

My eyesight got bad when pregnant I noticed everything was blurry and it was hard to focus in the mornings. I don't have glasses, it resolved a few months after each pregnancy.

I feel a bit better now it's not just me.

Thanks for the great link rouge.

During pregnancy my sight was shocking! My glasses were not helping but the optometrist says it would be best to wait til bub was born before getting new ones. I waited til she arrived, around 2 months after I got them checked. I felt my sight was super bad, but apparently it had only slightly changed. I now wear glasses at all times even though I didn't need too. I feel blind without them

my optometrist said it's totally normal for eyesight to change - the relaxin impacts muscles in your eyes as well as everywhere else

Yep what briggys girl said is what I have been told too

Mine improved as well. I used to have to wear glassed for driving, now I don't need to. I had to get a letter to get the wears glasses clause taken off my licence.

I still get prescription glasses, especially for sunglasses, as I find what prescription I do have is helpful with driving, plus I get can some great sunglasses on my health benefits

My eyesight got really bad when preg with DD. Now its up and down. Some days I dont need my glasses others I can barely see without them and get major headaches. I got some $40 ones from the place that claims to save you money on your specs. I couldn't stand the headaches but couldn't justify the cost to buy more expensive ones. I hope it goes back to how my sight was before! Glasses aren't the most comfortable things to wear. Should probably get tested again...

Off to the optometrist tomorrow for some testing to see how I am travelling, thank goodness for health insurance which covers the visit and 80-90% of the new frames and lenses.

Yep, I had to get stronger glasses after DS1, and then weaker glasses after DS2!

I was told to wait 3 months post partum before getting the eye check though, as it could keep changing until then.

Thanks for all the help ladies.

After seeing the optometrist today my sight has deteriorated but not too badly. The main issue seemed to be the muscles in the eye have relaxed and got a bit lazy. So while for someone my age it should be immediate to focus from long distance to short distance and vice versa it was taking 5-10 seconds. So the delay is causing stress on the eye and creating headaches and building pressure behind the eyes.

So instead of getting some new glasses at this stage, have been given some exercises to do for 6 weeks to see if that helps then we will re evaluate.

Thought it may be interesting if anyone else is having the same kind of issues