Thread: Cholestasis - anyone had it?

Default Cholestasis - anyone had it?

After experiencing intense itching, I have been diagnosed with cholestasis. Baby is coming out early (37+3) on Monday. I realise that 37 weeks is term & baby will most likely be ok but wondered if anyone had experience with babies born at this gestation after having this condition in pregnancy. Google ranges from perfectly fine babies, to babies who need special care & breathing/feeding assistance.
    Ds was born at 38+4 and was only 2.7 kgs, so a bit worried about weight & feeding as ds was so sleepy & we struggled a lot with bf'ing at the start.

Default Re: Cholestasis - anyone had it?

One of my parents at work had this and has just been induced at 37 weeks. She and her bubs were perfectly fine, bubs was under 6 pounds though, so quite small.

I had this with Stormageddon. He was born after an induction and is fine. Diagnosed and induced same day, 39+1, cos itching not taken seriously when first reported then investigated cos I felt no movements all day.

He's 3 months now and doing great. We're both healthy and I felt better post birth than I had done in months.

Default Cholestasis - anyone had it?

Hey andie, sorry to hear about the cholestasis. I have been stalking along casually in your birth group. A friend of mine had cholestasis diagnosed much earlier in the pregnancy. She was induced, then cs at 37 weeks and babe was just on 6lb. Just under when they left the hospital. But he was seemingly healthy, no special care stay and she was able to establish breastfeeding. Different for everyone but fx for a similar outcome for you

Thank you, ladies. Reassuring to hear. Ds was only 6lb2oz, so I'm thinking this one will be under 6lbs. Sounds so tiny.

CPPM - my itching was explained away as skin stretching... lucky I pushed for a bt, then retesting when that one came back normal. Great to hear you're both well now, looking fwd to no more itching. It's crazy some nights. I've found that reducing sugar, dairy & all the yummy things I've been living off helps.

I had it. I was induced at 36 weeks. I also had polyhydramnios. My DD was 3750gms and apart from some jaundice, was fine. We did have some issues feeding though. Had to use a cup and syringe for a while. She slept a lot too. I used to have to set an alarm to wake her to feed. The itch was horrible though! Eventually, my liver started packing in, hence the induction.

Good luck!

Thanks, n2l. I'm not looking fwd to establishing feeding... I really struggled with ds. He was small, tad jaundice & slept a lot too. We had to set our alarms to feed regularly & strip him down to his nappy to wake him up enough.

Maybe I'll get a surprise & he'll latch on straight away. [emoji3]

Stormageddon was a champion feeder from the start. He was also jaundiced for about 3 weeks.

And lol at autotext, correcting feeder to Federer. Not quite...

Just popping in to say good luck for the morning Andie! I hope you have been able to enjoy your last weekend as a mummy of 1. Hope alls well with you and Bub tomorrow too and looking forward to seeing your announcement

Thanks, Peace! Xx

Thought I would update, baby was born at 37+2. Weighed 2.8kgs, 100 grams more than ds1 born at 38+4. He squawked when he came out, but heart rate dropped and had grunty breathing. Spent first day in special care, no tubes, just oxygen and being kept warm. I expressed colostrum for him a few times which apparently he loved. Eventually he was discharged around 6pm that day and had his first bf then. Fed like a pro, and has been ever since. I'm amazed given the rough time I had with ds1. He wakes (too much overnight..) for feeds and is healthy. Had a bit of jaundice but nothing to worry about, and barely noticeable now at 6 days old. [emoji3]

Thanks for updating andie! Really happy for you he sounds perfect. Did you eventually land on a name for him?

No name yet.. [emoji15]

Oh really hahaha are you narrowing it down? Naming the second is a lot harder I have found.

Kind of narrowing, but some days another one pops on the list!