Thread: Cold sores

Default Cold sores

So I have a cold sore at the moment. I sent DH to the chemist to get some cream. He came back with "Virasolve - cold sore cream". I quickly put some on, then again 2-3 more times during the evening/overnight.

It wasn't until this morning while washing my hands in the bathroom I glanced down and saw the back of the tube "DO NOT USE DURING PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING".

I'm 19 weeks pregnant. I didn't even think to check if it was safe, just assumed it would be.

Default Re: Cold sores

I'm not sure what the contraindications are of using cold sore creams during pregnancy but if you want some piece of mind, the best person to speak to would be Rodney Whyte at Monash Health. He's the go to person for all meds etc during pregnancy and bfeeding (03) 9594 2361

Default Re: Cold sores

If the active ingredient is aciclovir, then it's a bit of a problem, because it interferes with DNA replication. You've probably not had a big enough dose to be an issue, but maybe lock the tube away for a while.

I only know about it because a chemist warned me that I shouldn't use it while pregnant. I wasn't pregnant; just a big lunch! But maybe he was just being super diligent. Wish more pharmacists were!