Thread: Help! Treatment for tonsillitis

Default Help! Treatment for tonsillitis

So it looks like I have tonsillitis or something like that. I am 6 weeks pregnant. It started slowly on Friday with a sore throat and by Sunday my left tonsil was swollen and hurting. I went to an after hour clinic, the doc said "Can't really see anything. Take antibiotics if you think you need them." *hands me script for Amoxycillin*. Ummm.... Thanks? o_O Anyway, DH and I agreed that we'll wait a bit and see if it gets better by itself first, considering we don't know if the infection is bacterial or viral. I rather not take drugs during pregnancy unnecessarily. So now it's Wednesday, my throat still hurts (now on both sides), it's gotten slightly worse, but not much. It's not as painful as previous throat infections, but it does hurt when I swallow. So now I can't decide whether to try the anti-biotics or not. Amoxycillin is a Grade b pregnancy drug, considered safe, but "not extensively tested". It says to only take it when the risks outweigh the benefits. Sooo.... now what? What risks are there in just letting it run its course? Would it be better to leave it be and hope it will go away or is it better to take the drugs?

Help! I don't know what to do.

Default Re: Help! Treatment for tonsillitis

Is go back and get it looked at again. If it was tonsillitis then I would expect them to be able to see white spots by now.
    You could try salt gargles at the moment though. Beradine gargle has been highly regarded by some pharmacists.

They don't have an appointment til next week. Just checked - no spots. They don't really look swollen either....

It could be a generic throat infection or laryngitis. I get both a lot (no idea why!). Salt water gargles, warm drinks, and lozenges were my best friends. It can take a while for these things to resolve sometimes - dd1 is prone to tonsillitis but had a generic infection late 2013 which presented like tonsillitis and lasted for about 2 weeks.
    I would be inclined to make the appointment and cancel if you feel better the day before.