Thread: Low HB

Default Low HB

Tell me about iron transfusions.
    what are they? are they worth getting? did you take iron tablets? side affects etc etc?
    With last pregnancy they wanted me to have one at 35wks but i declined cuz i was so close to the end. (she was born at 37/5). HB is already low (they want at least 110 and i was already at 109 at 10wks). I am on iron tabs but haven't had any bloods since to know if they have helped. Just would like some info in case they bring it up. Ta

Default Re: Low HB

I've had them through all 4 pregnancies & sometimes even more than once.
    Takes up 4-8hrs & I usually feel more tired then I pick up.
    I don't take iron tablets as my iron levels skyrocket, after awhile when they start dropping I'll start taking the liquid iron again

No side effects & babies have always been fine.

Im having one on thursday as my hb is 106 and ferritin 5 (iron stores). Ive had them before and they are as the pp said. If you have been on supplements, i would hope your levels have picked up though. Ive been told i might get joint pains for a few days. It is extremely important your iron levels are good before giving birth in case of bleeding.

Supplements alone we're not enough for me, but mine never got below 116 - that was my lowest, and I was 27 weeks. I saw the hospital dietician who was incredibly helpful, and with my second pregnancy my levels were much better than my first.

A friend had a transfusion recently, no biggie. She thought it helped her recovery after birth.

Thanks ladies