Thread: Polyhydramnios - am I at increased risk next time?

Question Polyhydramnios - am I at increased risk next time?

I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios at about 41 weeks and a couple of days while having checks done because I was talking my way out of an induction! I went into labour the next day and DS was born the day after that.

I have googled it and I didn't have any of the risk factors (GD etc) and nor did DS have any abnormalities so I figure I'm in the 50% with unknown cause. Not sure how long I had it for but possibly the last month or slightly longer. I'd had the most "boring" uneventful pregnancy up until going overdue.

I know this is really rare (0.5-2% of pregnancies) but just wondering if anyone knows what the risks are for subsequent pregnancies? Am I at increased risk of having this happen again or at the same risk as anyone else?

Also, does anyone know if there are implications for my uterus not returning to it's previous size? I know this sounds silly, but I'm worried it will always be over-stretched and not go back down.

Cheers,

Anyone?

Sorry Kaz, I have never heard of it before. I guess with anything, there is always a small risk of it happening again, but if your uterus doesn't go back down then I suppose you're already starting off with the problem kwim? I hope someone pops in who may know more about it.

No to my knowledge you should be at no added risk next pregnancy. Often bad Polyhydramnios is picked up earlier then that. Do you know how much fluid there was (like 2L or much less or even more?) Uterus's are usually pretty stretchy. Shouldn't be any damage from simple being overstretched. With extra fluid there is not a great risk of uterine rupture as usually if anything it will cause your membranes to rupture if anything. Did you have a vaginal birth or C/S? Often the cause can not be identified. I would say your pretty safe and if next time your worried the dr should be able to order a later ultrasound like at 34weeks or so to rule it out.

Forgot to say after having a baby your uterus never returns to its pre-pregnant size. Your uterus has probably srunk to almost a small as its going to get however the abdomen skin and muscles take much longer to srink back down and unfortunately unless your extremely lucky never go back to being a tight as they were pre-pregnancy. My stomach after bothe kids went back to being flat at some stage although I could stretch my skin out and if bending down will sage a bit. With DD1 took 2years to go flat and thin again but I put on 40kilos so it wasn't till I lost most of the extra weight that my stomach looked good again. (2yrs it ook) It can take a long time. Some exercise can help with the skin and muscles but not much you can do for your uterus and it should by now be pretty small again especially if this is your first baby.

Thanks for your replies!

Emmy - Jacob is my first baby and I ended up with an unplanned c-section. I'm not sure how many litres of fluid there was (felt like HEAPS when my waters were broken) but the u/s said there was 24-26cm?? Can't quite remember but it was mid-20's. At my 6 week check last week the GP said that it wasn't a severe case and the cause was unknown. He was a bit vague about my risks next time though. He also said my uterus was still contracting back and would take 3 months instead of the usual 6 weeks. I put on about 20 kilos when pg and have lost around half that (mostly the fluid plus Jacob I think )

Does the uterus contract back at the same rate regardless of delivery? I was always told by friends and a nurse in hossy that it takes longer for a c-section because they can't push it back down manually????

Yes your right. A C/S does take longer to go back to the size it will stay so its probably the 3months that your Dr said at your 6week check up.

I had this from about 30wks or so and I was HUGE! I had no other risk factors for anything and went on to have an uneventful pg til I gave birth vaginally, completely naturally at 41wks. Dr said that it was unlikely to happen again and that it was a 'borderline' case. Not to sure on the borderline of what though!! Baby was a healthy 4.2kgs and had no problems either. The only thing I could see was a problem was how humongous my belly was!

Thanks Kel. Good to know you are unlikely to have it re-occur. Congrats on your natural birth too!! My belly was pretty huge by the end as well. People thought I was due any day from about the 32 week mark!

Do you know if they managed your third stage any differently because of the hydramnios? I was told that my PPH occurred because my uterus was overstretched and didn't contract quickly enough when the placenta came away.

Thankyou, I am pretty proud of myself for having a natural birth! And, Yep, I got the 'Are you sure it's not twins?' pretty early on, and 'You must be ready to pop soon!!' from about 34wks too.
    As for my third stage, I'm not sure. As far as I'm aware, they did nothing differently because I asked for a completely natural birth unless I said otherwise, so I assume they would have spoken to me about any interventions before doing them, kwim? I am prone to PPH anyway, and did have one with this birth too. Though it wasn't as bad as it was with DD's birth.

Default Re: Polyhydramnios - am I at increased risk next time?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kaz~ View Post
    I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios at about 41 weeks and a couple of days while having checks done because I was talking my way out of an induction! I went into labour the next day and DS was born the day after that.

I have googled it and I didn't have any of the risk factors (GD etc) and nor did DS have any abnormalities so I figure I'm in the 50% with unknown cause. Not sure how long I had it for but possibly the last month or slightly longer. I'd had the most "boring" uneventful pregnancy up until going overdue.

I know this is really rare (0.5-2% of pregnancies) but just wondering if anyone knows what the risks are for subsequent pregnancies? Am I at increased risk of having this happen again or at the same risk as anyone else?

Also, does anyone know if there are implications for my uterus not returning to it's previous size? I know this sounds silly, but I'm worried it will always be over-stretched and not go back down.

Cheers,
    I have the exact same condition, this is my 2ed baby but I had nothing of this with my first baby! Just that I had passed my due date and gave birth at 40.5weeks to 2.6kg healthy girle

They first notices me at 38 weeks with 22.6cm AFI and baby weight 3.2kg
    Now I'm 40.3 weeks with 26.3cm AFI and baby weight 3.9kg, as per scans!
    My baby is moving perfectly and I'm super healthy, although I'm very worried